knocking sound when driving very slow, more noticable backwards..

coyle

From Show... to GO
Reaction score
hey guys, when pulling off, and moving slowly, i can hear a knocking/clunking sound.
It's very noticable, but doesn't have any affect on how the car drives etc.
I checked the drop links and there fine, it seems to be coming from the drivers side, so im thinking cv joint, more likely the inner joint.

does my diagnosis sound about right?

If so can I get the inner joint on its own easy enough and is it easy to replace?

cheers
Jon

Question is, is the noise rotary movement related. As in does it speed up when the wheel is turning faster?

Also, CV Joint failures can normally be located by turning around in a circle on full lock. This will make it easier to hear if a CV joint has failed.

Yes, inner joints can be purchased singularly, but it's realistically a driveshaft out job to fit it.

Im not saying your problem is not the inner joint but mine has gone twice and both times there was no apparent knocking. I would look into engine mounts or the suspension top mounts imo.

Id say top mount. The reason i say that is, my drivers side makes a clonking/knocking side when at low speeds or over uneven ground at load speeds and my drivers side top mount is shot to ****, just havent got round to replacing it yet lol.

It is movement related,as the wheel does each full turn it makes the noise, but only up to around 5mph,
Still think top mounts? Or more likely to be cv?

It does it more, or less, so yes it alters on turn,
another symptom of cv joint failure