1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knocking sound after lowering

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by vw754, Aug 25, 2009.

1. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

[Aug 25, 2009]
    I fitted 30mm lowering spring to my car and once fitted it dropped 23mm....the car is a SPORT model A3 TDI SPORTBACK.

Ive noticed a faint knock when coming on and off speed humps,ive replaced top mounts and knocking is still there and ive replace both anti-roll bar drop links........

could it be the anti-roll bar bushes? also ive heard that you have to replace the anti-roll bar as you cant buy the bushes is this true?
    This has only happened once cars been lowered.

A3 2.0 TDI SPORT ---SPORTBACK 5 DOOR----
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. hollow

hollow Active Member

[Aug 28, 2009]
    had the same problem changed exactly the same things in the end i had to change the lowering springs to another set .

could also be wishbone mounts

changed them too

now rattle has gone but back end of car is too soft on new springs
  3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 28, 2009]
    No, the rears are replaceable as the brackets are removable seperate from arb, fronts are sealed as such, but you just drill the brackets out, fit aftermarket bushes by powerflex & then nut/bolt front arb back in place, aftermarket arb's are all done this way on 8P front arb with sealed arb/bracket/bushes.

Did you move the arb's at all when messing with suspension/arb's etc?

When I upgraded my arb's to eibach I had rear knocking so swapped to HR & had front knocking, resolved now with movement of parts a bit, but what a ball breaker it was, but yours is most likely simple, check mounts are fitted properly & done up tight, assume connecting links are not loose on front as this is common aswell, check ball joints for movement.
  4. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

[Aug 28, 2009]
    Everything is tight,new link arms and 2 track rod ends and bottom ball joints replaced..........How easy of a job is it to change arb bushes?

Is it true when lowered the arb sits at a different angle which then can cause knocking?:think:
  5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 29, 2009]
    You need to get it on a ramp of the type you drive onto to check the arb position & other linkages so you can see with a full load on the suspension which would possibly show anything close that would knock on a speed bump.