1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knocking sound after lowering

vw754 Aug 25, 2009

1. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

I fitted 30mm lowering spring to my car and once fitted it dropped 23mm....the car is a SPORT model A3 TDI SPORTBACK.

Ive noticed a faint knock when coming on and off speed humps,ive replaced top mounts and knocking is still there and ive replace both anti-roll bar drop links........

could it be the anti-roll bar bushes? also ive heard that you have to replace the anti-roll bar as you cant buy the bushes is this true?
    This has only happened once cars been lowered.

A3 2.0 TDI SPORT ---SPORTBACK 5 DOOR----

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. hollow

hollow Well-Known Member

had the same problem changed exactly the same things in the end i had to change the lowering springs to another set .

could also be wishbone mounts

changed them too

now rattle has gone but back end of car is too soft on new springs

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

No, the rears are replaceable as the brackets are removable seperate from arb, fronts are sealed as such, but you just drill the brackets out, fit aftermarket bushes by powerflex & then nut/bolt front arb back in place, aftermarket arb's are all done this way on 8P front arb with sealed arb/bracket/bushes.

Did you move the arb's at all when messing with suspension/arb's etc?

When I upgraded my arb's to eibach I had rear knocking so swapped to HR & had front knocking, resolved now with movement of parts a bit, but what a ball breaker it was, but yours is most likely simple, check mounts are fitted properly & done up tight, assume connecting links are not loose on front as this is common aswell, check ball joints for movement.

4. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

Everything is tight,new link arms and 2 track rod ends and bottom ball joints replaced..........How easy of a job is it to change arb bushes?

Is it true when lowered the arb sits at a different angle which then can cause knocking?:think:

5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

You need to get it on a ramp of the type you drive onto to check the arb position & other linkages so you can see with a full load on the suspension which would possibly show anything close that would knock on a speed bump.