1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knocking over bumps??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by wibble111, Feb 22, 2011.

1. wibble111

wibble111 needs to scratch the itch

[Feb 22, 2011]
    Afternoon all, my S3 has developed a slight knocking when hitting a bump, i know it could be a lot of things causing it but when it was last MOT'd i got an advisory about the top mounts, question is if the top mounts are gone would it make any knocking noises?

Also are they easy to fit?

Thanks in advance, Dave.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Feb 22, 2011]
    I have the same problem Dave. Had MOT 2 weeks ago and the said there is slight play in my top mounts. The top mounts are the rubber bits that sit on top of your front shocks so its a shocks off job.

Other things that can cause the knocking are, ARB, wishbone bushes, the shocks themselves.
  4. S3 Nattie

S3 Nattie Quattro ist für sissies

[Feb 22, 2011]
    My top mounts knock I think since I changed mine when I put my coilies on, not sure why tho, they are new
  5. Westy

[Feb 22, 2011]
    Probably the coils ;)

Is it definitely the top mounts Nath and not bushes on another suspension component?
  6. S3 Nattie

[Feb 22, 2011]
    Not to sure to be far, only the driver side knocks over bumps. Havent had a proper look under there so just assumed it was them as they were the only bushes changed and didnt have it before the coilies when on lol. Il have a nose around the bushes when I get a chance.
  7. Westy

[Feb 22, 2011]
    The new coils and top mounts may have just highlighted a weakness somewhere else. When I had my wishbone bushes changed it was a big change in feel and stopped knocking.
  8. S3 Nattie

[Feb 22, 2011]
    Quite right. I got poly bushes in my wishbones but they have been in there a while. Changed my drop links also, so could only be top mounts or wishbone/ARB bushes.