1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knocking noise.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Neil-M, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

Hello,

My 2001 A3 1.8T has developed an annoying Knocking sound/Feeling which seem's to be coming from the passengers foot-well.
    It only really happens whilst going slow over bumps, pot holes etc Nothing when on a smooth road, nothing whilst turning full lock left or right forward or reverse.

It is really bugging me know as it can be felt through the floor and by my feet. It is something i really would like to rectify myself and sharpish as it is the only thing letting the car down at the moment.

Any help would be greatly received.

Kind regards,

Neil.
  2. Metro

Metro Error

I had the same issue, Seemed the exhaust bracket after the Cat was loose.

Cheers,
  3. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

That's exactly what i was thinking maybe a perished bracket, i will have a look shortly hope thats the issue as its one of the cheaper fix's. many Thanks.
  4. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

Well i managed to just about squeeze under the car today and the exhaust seem's solid. Luckily i am booked in with Newton Abbot Audi to get my coil recall done and they have very nicely said they will get it on the ramps and have a look for me. I am very impressed with Audi's after care even on a 51 plate car they are willing to help.
  5. Grale1

Grale1 Member

Another common issue with the knocking seems to be anti roll bar bushes and the top mounts, both are fairly straight forward to do
  6. purple8

purple8 Member

If its the exhaust bracket i just used a u clamp to clamp around exhaust and old bracket. Well cheap and easy.
    However i have had knocking after fitting new springs. Turns out there should be plastic holders at the bottom of the springs. Old ones were obviously long gone and the springs rusted to the bottom. New ones added
  7. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

Don't forget the drop links too, they can be a good source of rattles! You need to try and check them in a loaded position if you can, they sometimes appear solid when extended as the ball is sitting in an unworn bit of the socket, if that makes sense?
  8. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

Thanks for that, Well i went to Audi today for my coil recall (They were fine) The nice chap had a road test and had a look at what may be causing the noise and says "suspect Anti Roll Bar". A few people have mentioned this so would seem the likely culprit. My question is what would this mean? Is it a case of buying new bush's for the whole ARB?

Many thanks.
  9. dre_S3

dre_S3 Member

Just be new bushes mate will not need a new arb, I had a knocking sound turned out to be the rear bush on the front wish bone was knackered
  10. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

Brilliant, thanks for that. Is it a big job or straight forward?
  11. dre_S3

dre_S3 Member

Easy job mate
  12. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

Cheers fella, does anyone know the correct bushes for my model? I only ask as there is loads of brands ect?
  13. Oke Phill

Oke Phill Member

Just a thought, but get under your car and check your sub frame bolt under the passenger floor well has not come lose. Mine did and it caused exactly the issue you are having, may be a easy fix.

Thanks Phill
  14. Neil-M

Neil-M remedy

Thanks for the heads up, got to be worth a check.