1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knocking noise when breaking

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by jetskijimmy, Apr 2, 2013.

1. jetskijimmy

jetskijimmy QUATTRO

Hi some advice needed please

Just fitted new disc & pads at the front - the rear will get done end of the month, after fitting new discs and pads i took the car for a test drive the breaks are working fine but I get a knocking noise when breaking -the faster the car is moving when breaking the faster the knocking noise gets

Does a yone know why this is happening ? The car is a A4 DTM 2.0 Quattro

Thanks

James
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Possibly pads moving in calliper, shim would probably sort this out.

Try reversing & see if knocks, then going forward & see if knocks, if so then its this.
  3. jetskijimmy

jetskijimmy QUATTRO

Thanks ill give this ago I will remove calipers/pads and refit tomorrow

Cheers

James
  4. jetskijimmy

jetskijimmy QUATTRO

Just been out for a spin - noticed the knocking when moving forward seems fine whilst reversing will have a look in the morning:sob:
  5. jetskijimmy

jetskijimmy QUATTRO

Finally sorted the noise out :thumbsup: I had a nightmare fitting the new discs and pads first the noise then a faulty brake pad sensor-I got these from GSF parts and was able to return the faulty brake pad under warranty, I paid £206 for discs and pads just for the front and been quoted £75 for the rear discs and pads - I bet I could of got these cheap elsewhe

Looking forward to payday to refurbish my alloys (gun metal grey) cant wait:kissmyrings:

Cheers James
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

So what was the noise then?
  7. jetskijimmy

jetskijimmy QUATTRO

Sorry mate thanks for the advice :icon_thumright:

The discs were Bosch one came with grey anticarossion paint witch had biult up under the pad slightly - not sure if I was supposed to have removed with thinners ? I have cleaned the pad and disc remove the hard flakes of paint all seems fine now :yahoo: cant wait to do the rear discs (NOT) ha

Cheers