1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knocking noise in A4 TDI Engine

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by Paulw, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Paulw

Paulw New Member

[Mar 22, 2007]
    I've got a 98 A4 B5 TDI (AHU 90bhp engine) with 70k on it. Just recently i hear the engine making a bit of knocking noise at idle, this is not consistent and happens immediately after start up, clears up for about a minute and then continues.

The engine just doesn't sound as smooth. Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated!? :bye:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

[Mar 22, 2007]
    with engine at idle slacken 1 injector see if it go's quiet,if not retighten and do next injector,and so on.if slackening of of the injectors go's quiet,you have injector knock.
  4. golisago

golisago Member

[Mar 31, 2007]
    Hi there Paul.........have you by any chance had a timing belt put on recently or any major work injectors etc.........it does sound as if your timing is out.....and if it is noisey because of a belt change it means that they didn't quite get it right and the cam/timing is out and slapping some what.
  5. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Mar 31, 2007]
    if the belt timing was out then the engine would run rough throughout its rev range, it may be a hydraulic tappet charging up with oil, most likely.
  6. golisago

golisago Member

[Mar 31, 2007]
    Paul actually hasn't said if it does this if it makes a lowder noise at higher rpm's or not.......i remember i had the very same thing happen to me when i used fully synthetic in my 1Z motor....changed it out for some Castrol GTD and it stopped the tapping .