1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knocking from from wheel on a3 3.2

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by housey11, Aug 9, 2010.

1. housey11

housey11 New Member

[Aug 9, 2010]
    Hi im new to the forum so i hope ive posted in the right place? I have recently purchased an 54 plate a3 3.2 sport. I have started to notice a slight knock coming ftom front driverside wheel area when travelling on uneven road surfaces or the dreaded speed bumps. The knock can be felt through the steering wheel. Its not a dramatic knock more of an annoying one.Any suggestions would be appreciated before booking it in to the local audi dealer.:rock:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. Nezzy

Nezzy Member

[Aug 9, 2010]
    Firstly Welcome and a very good choice. I bought mine a few weeks back so its all new to me too.
    I was advised when buying to give the suspension a good test as these cars are front heavy
    and the shocks take a battering. Unfortunately I don't know enough on them yet to say its that
    for sure but Im sure someone else on here will either confirm or point you in the wright direction.
    So all in all a fairly useless bit of advice but If its any consolation, Im generally pretty good at guessing stuff :moa:
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[Aug 10, 2010]
    Could be the drop link, had one go on my first A3 3.2 and the symptoms were the same as yours.
  5. lincoln_dj

lincoln_dj Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 10, 2010]
    yeah i'll go for drop links too. or worn top mount?

also, worth checking the wheel is on tight enough if it knocks when braking or when first setting off!
  6. TAC

TAC 3.2 V6 Burble... hmmmmmmm

[Aug 10, 2010]
    Could also be that sombody has fitted the wrong brake pads or not replaced the retaining spring arm to the caliper which can cause the knock. have a look at the caliper on both sides and ensure they have the retaining spring.
  7. housey11

housey11 New Member

[Aug 18, 2010]
    cheers for advice,a quick check of the suspension and drop link is th cause.....quick and cheap fix thank god.