Knackered Driver Information System

Manics

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would anyone have any idea's as to what I can do about the driver information screen acting up?
Recently, I had one straight line down to the right of the display, not lighting up, whilst the rest of the display does.Still display's readable info OK (radio station, fuel etc)
It started working again, but the problem has now come back with THREE line's down the right hand side...kind of like a laddered pair of tight's, if you know what I mean.

Is this expensive?? Car's over three year's old so.....

I've got the same problem with my S3 DIS, with certain rows or columns of the display not working, seems to slowly cure itself when the car starts to warm up?. Would be interested in knowing the cost of a replacement, or quick fix.

Cheers

Joe

Mine has faded patches. Its fine when the display is cold, but when it warms up, parts of it are unreadable.

Sounds like a design fault to me. I bet the only fix is to by a new unit for ££££ :-(

The screen is a small LCD panel. What happens is the connections around the screen lose connection and thus those areas do not work.

Ways to fix are:
Remove screen very carefully and re-install.

OR

Try gently pressing the side of the screen with the dead areas to see if they come back to life. If they do try inserting a small thin piece of plastic (part of a cable tye) between the screen and surround in that area. Sounds a bit 'Heath Rob' but it works.

Lets us now how you get on.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Thank's a lot for the tip!
Is it easy enough to remove the plastic face from the front of the complete display / dial unit (just behind the steering wheel), to get at the LCD?

Anybody got any info on how to get the plastic face off the dash display so I can get at my DIS to eventualy try and fix this problem tomorrow.

Any tips appreciated..

Thankx

Hi pazaz,

Any luck with fixing your DIS? Mine's unreadable now, been meaning on trying to fix it for ages but just keep it switched off.

Someone posted a fix a while back including instructions to get to the LCD display.

Gav

Not sure how to get the plastic cover off the front of the dashboard yet to get to it.

Any body know the link to the fix that Gav is refering to?

Tis very easy to remove the clocks on the S3

1st, tilt your steering wheel as far down as it goes and pull it away from the clocks as far as it goes.

you'll see a thin plastic trim that sits between the steering column housing and the bottom of the clocks, this just clips off (you'll figure it out)

on removing the trim you have now revealed two retaining screws, these are all that hold the clocks into the dash board apart from a small clip at the top at the back, this un-clips itself once you move them out.

There should be enough cable on the looms to pull the clocks part-way out and carefully un-clip the wiring connectors.
Take a second to have a look at how they clip in, don't go in at it like an idiot and try ripping them off!!

Once the wiring is disconnected you will be able to maneuver the clocks out of the dash pod they sit in.
I found it easier to remove the lower kick-panel and then you can get your hand behind the clocks to give them a push out but this is not entirely necessary.

Once the clocks are out you will see how the perspex front is attached. (just clips if i remember correctly)

*NOTE* the car wont start with the clocks removed, this is normal and all will be fine when you plug them back in.

Hope this helps
Ash

Ash thats great thanks.

I will attempt this on the weekend now..

Cheers.

mines been doing this for months. I had a long journey in it with the climate control on all the way and this seems to have fixed most the screen- dunno if the CC had anything to do with it (dehumidifiying the air etc..) has been ok now for the last few weeks..

Will have to try the climate control thing..

Took the clocks off on the weekend which was easey enough but couldnt see anywhere to insert a small thin piece of plastic between the screen and surround in that area as previously mentioned???

Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I tried this fix this weekend, I took some photos as well which I'll try to put up later. It was pretty simple to do but unfortunately it didnt work for me. I think my screen is too far gone, it's basically illegible.

Pazaz, when you've removed the clocks from the dash and taken off the black surrounds you need to gently bend the metal legs of the lcd display surround. This will mean you can lift up the surround and insert a cable tie or something similar. The ribbon is on the left hand side of the display as you look at it. Hopefully it'll be clearer if I can get the photos up later.

Gav

There was another fix posted on here somewhere, which involved replacing the conductive elastomer between the PCB and the LED Display.

It works in exactly the same way that HTC describes when fixing old nokia phones like the 8210.

A few Pics would be great Gavs3..

I think the other fix is a bit to involved for me madvw..

Cheers

Right, lets try this photo thing, I'm a bit of a newbie!

Firstly here's my screen - pretty screwed I think you'd agree:

display.jpg

Ok once you've removed the pod, you need to take the front and back covers off (you'll need a T10 torx bit). You can then get to the display. The display is held inside a metal bracket. To get to the ribbon you need to release the legs with some gentle plier work - see photo for the legs:

back.jpg

Once you've released the legs you can gently lift the bracket up and get to the ribbon:

ribbon.jpg

I sat a small, cut down cable tie on it and put it all back together. However it didnt make anything different - though mine is pretty screwed! I hope it works better for you though

Gav

gavins3 said:
Right, lets try this photo thing, I'm a bit of a newbie!

Firstly here's my screen - pretty screwed I think you'd agree:

display.jpg

Ok once you've removed the pod, you need to take the front and back covers off (you'll need a T10 torx bit). You can then get to the display. The display is held inside a metal bracket. To get to the ribbon you need to release the legs with some gentle plier work - see photo for the legs:

back.jpg

Once you've released the legs you can gently lift the bracket up and get to the ribbon:

ribbon.jpg

I sat a small, cut down cable tie on it and put it all back together. However it didnt make anything different - though mine is pretty screwed! I hope it works better for you though

Gav

Thanks Gav, I think I speak for most of us, the pics will make the job easier for the rest of us who are contemplating doing it. Thanks. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the pics, that certainly helps but getting to the unit is the easy part.

What to do next ??

The LCD glass in connected to the pod PCB via a ribbon cable. I was hoping it might be on a connector block, at least giving the possibility of cleaning the contacts, but the ribbon is soldered directly the the PCB.

Before I take it all apart again to investigate and try resoldering the connections, is this actually the typical source of this fault ?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had success with this method.

My DIS has started to go now, just one-line through the top of the temp at the mo, which comes and goes (does it get worse?)...I am hoping it remains an intermitent fault...