1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kjet conversion

Discussion in 'Classic Audi Forum' started by , Apr 3, 2005.

1. Online

[Apr 3, 2005]
    Alright chaps... Im a bit of a noob here so bear with me. Ive just had the AA out to deal with my dodgy 2B carb, which desperately needs replacing... so I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif it, I might as well bin the carb engine as its past its sell by date really. Question is, how difficult is it going to be to change the engine to a kjet equipped engine? The fuel system looks identicaly to the golf engine, the only difference I can see is the fact that the audi doesnt have a lift pump, its gravity fed IIRC. Any suggestions as to parts I will need for the conversion, and any areas I should be particularly pay attention to? The cars a 1982 80 1.6 GL FYI!! Thanks guys, appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[Apr 3, 2005]
  4. Online

[Apr 4, 2005]
    They are all the newer shaped ones. Mines a mk2. TBH I cant see the complications, Kjet involves hardly any wiring, and will fit, as the 1.8 models used the same fuel injection
  5. audi5e

audi5e Member

[Apr 4, 2005]
    If you use the original K-Jetronic, then you would need a high pressure fuel pump (around 3.5 - 4 bar pressure and above a certain flow rate), as well as the fuel distributor/air metering unit. Obviously you would also need to change the whole inlet manifold/throttle assembly to accomodate this system. You may also need a different cylinder head, depending of whether or not yours can accomodate the injectors?

(there may also be complications with compression ratio's???)

If you are planning on using the later KE-Jetronic or KEIII-Jetronic, then you are going to need the computers that control the whole setup, all the sensors as well as a complete ignition system, as both these systems are controlled by the ECU from signals received from the various sensors.
    Only the old K-Jetronic system is completely mechanical.

My own advice to you is listen to Rev-head, and rather get yourself a later car that already has injection! (That is very good advice!!!)

Personally I would rather saw off my head with a teaspoon than attempt what you are suggesting.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  6. Online

[Apr 4, 2005]
    Point taken.... but these cars arent very common nowadays, and this ones in pretty mint condition. Getting a later one would defeat the object somewhat. I would be going for the completely mechanical system as found in the mk1/2 golfs. The parts I have gathered that I will need are: Kjet main fuel pump and fuel lines, Mk1 Golf inlet manifold/throttle body. MK1 Metering head/fuel distributor, braided fuel lines/injectors, WUR, Air box, Cylinder head + cam, Engine wiring loom?

Was having a look at the scrappy today and found a mk1 cabby with all of the above. Have you guys got any idea how the kjetted audi's mounted the fuel pump?
  7. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[Apr 4, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you use the original K-Jetronic, then you would need a high pressure fuel pump (around 3.5 - 4 bar pressure and above a certain flow rate), as well as the fuel distributor/air metering unit. Obviously you would also need to change the whole inlet manifold/throttle assembly to accomodate this system. You may also need a different cylinder head, depending of whether or not yours can accomodate the injectors?

(there may also be complications with compression ratio's???)

If you are planning on using the later KE-Jetronic or KEIII-Jetronic, then you are going to need the computers that control the whole setup, all the sensors as well as a complete ignition system, as both these systems are controlled by the ECU from signals received from the various sensors.
    Only the old K-Jetronic system is completely mechanical.

My own advice to you is listen to Rev-head, and rather get yourself a later car that already has injection! (That is very good advice!!!)

Personally I would rather saw off my head with a teaspoon than attempt what you are suggesting.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  8. audi5e

audi5e Member

[Apr 4, 2005]
    The old K-Jetronic pump was mounted just next to the fuel tank. There was an inline filter between the tank and the pump. This was in addition to the large metal filter under the bonnet.
  9. audi5e

audi5e Member

[Apr 4, 2005]
    You shouldn't need a wiring loom as a proper K-Jetronic is completely mechanical.
  10. seabass

seabass New Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You shouldn't need a wiring loom as a proper K-Jetronic is completely mechanical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not striclty true matey.. Cold start injector and warm up regulator require some wiring....

Cheers
    JC
  11. audi5e

audi5e Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    apologies, forgot about those two items... :))

I was so busy picturing the sensors all over the KEIII system.

And thinking about my old Audi, that also had a controller unit for the ignition side. Though I am not sure if that also controlled the warm up stage of the fuel??