Kjet conversion

Alright chaps... Im a bit of a noob here so bear with me. Ive just had the AA out to deal with my dodgy 2B carb, which desperately needs replacing... so I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif it, I might as well bin the carb engine as its past its sell by date really. Question is, how difficult is it going to be to change the engine to a kjet equipped engine? The fuel system looks identicaly to the golf engine, the only difference I can see is the fact that the audi doesnt have a lift pump, its gravity fed IIRC. Any suggestions as to parts I will need for the conversion, and any areas I should be particularly pay attention to? The cars a 1982 80 1.6 GL FYI!! Thanks guys, appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

They are all the newer shaped ones. Mines a mk2. TBH I cant see the complications, Kjet involves hardly any wiring, and will fit, as the 1.8 models used the same fuel injection

If you use the original K-Jetronic, then you would need a high pressure fuel pump (around 3.5 - 4 bar pressure and above a certain flow rate), as well as the fuel distributor/air metering unit. Obviously you would also need to change the whole inlet manifold/throttle assembly to accomodate this system. You may also need a different cylinder head, depending of whether or not yours can accomodate the injectors?

(there may also be complications with compression ratio's???)

If you are planning on using the later KE-Jetronic or KEIII-Jetronic, then you are going to need the computers that control the whole setup, all the sensors as well as a complete ignition system, as both these systems are controlled by the ECU from signals received from the various sensors.
Only the old K-Jetronic system is completely mechanical.

My own advice to you is listen to Rev-head, and rather get yourself a later car that already has injection! (That is very good advice!!!)

Personally I would rather saw off my head with a teaspoon than attempt what you are suggesting.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Point taken.... but these cars arent very common nowadays, and this ones in pretty mint condition. Getting a later one would defeat the object somewhat. I would be going for the completely mechanical system as found in the mk1/2 golfs. The parts I have gathered that I will need are: Kjet main fuel pump and fuel lines, Mk1 Golf inlet manifold/throttle body. MK1 Metering head/fuel distributor, braided fuel lines/injectors, WUR, Air box, Cylinder head + cam, Engine wiring loom?

Was having a look at the scrappy today and found a mk1 cabby with all of the above. Have you guys got any idea how the kjetted audi's mounted the fuel pump?

[ QUOTE ]
If you use the original K-Jetronic, then you would need a high pressure fuel pump (around 3.5 - 4 bar pressure and above a certain flow rate), as well as the fuel distributor/air metering unit. Obviously you would also need to change the whole inlet manifold/throttle assembly to accomodate this system. You may also need a different cylinder head, depending of whether or not yours can accomodate the injectors?

(there may also be complications with compression ratio's???)

If you are planning on using the later KE-Jetronic or KEIII-Jetronic, then you are going to need the computers that control the whole setup, all the sensors as well as a complete ignition system, as both these systems are controlled by the ECU from signals received from the various sensors.
Only the old K-Jetronic system is completely mechanical.

My own advice to you is listen to Rev-head, and rather get yourself a later car that already has injection! (That is very good advice!!!)

Personally I would rather saw off my head with a teaspoon than attempt what you are suggesting.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't need a wiring loom as a proper K-Jetronic is completely mechanical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not striclty true matey.. Cold start injector and warm up regulator require some wiring....

Cheers
JC

apologies, forgot about those two items... :))

I was so busy picturing the sensors all over the KEIII system.

And thinking about my old Audi, that also had a controller unit for the ignition side. Though I am not sure if that also controlled the warm up stage of the fuel??