1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keys locked in boot of A5 CAB

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by Simon1, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Simon1

Simon1 New Member

[Apr 25, 2012]
    Hello All

Yesterday afternoon, at school pick up time, my wife threw the kids stuff into the boot, closed it (it locks upon closure) and then realised that the keys had been tossed in alongside the kids bags, coats and books. There was a frantic call to me at work, what she expected me to be able to do from my desk some 30 miles away I really do not know. Fortunately, there was a parent nearby who ran her home (some 15 mins away) and then drove her back with the spare key. She was lucky this happened relatively close by; had it occured further afield she would have had some serious problems.

My question to anyone who may have experienced this is whether or not there is a way to gain access to the boot without getting the spare key?

Your experiences and thoughts would be most helpful.

Thank you.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

[Apr 25, 2012]
    lol like anyone is gonna tell you that even by pm with 11 posts!
    usually you phone your breakdown company or get a brick!
    Andy Crooks likes this.
  4. Simon1

Simon1 New Member

[Apr 25, 2012]
    Thank's for that most helpful bit of information. About as useful as a chocolate tea pot!!!!!!
    You'll be pleased to know someone did actually mail directly with some sensible advice - I'll test it and find out whether or not its possible.
    Ste_Nova likes this.
  5. murran

murran Active Member

[Apr 27, 2012]
    so effectivly your question is how do you break into the boot/car?

you dont, if you are the reptuable owner of the car, you get your spare key, which she did....... which, as it happens is why you have more than one key........ any more stoopid questions?
  6. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Apr 28, 2012]
    Easy enough if you have electronics experience and have access to the inside of the car.
    Not something I would tell the wife to do over the phone thou!
    Just a case of knowing which wire to cut and then energise the rear boot solenoid with a 12v pulse feed - need wire cutters and a length of wire.
    And then when all done you need to make good the cut wire - but you can do that at home.

Which wire you ask?
    As indicated in the Audi circuit diagrams - this will show the exact colour coding.

If you phone the AA / RAC this is what they do - as per my female colleague at a motorway services in her A4/B6 several years back.
  7. Simon1

Simon1 New Member

[Apr 30, 2012]
    No more stupid questions - just sensible answers.......

You may be surprised to hear that if you have access to the car you can get around the locked boot problem. Fortunately, there was some helpful advice that went alongside the sarcastic comments. Lets hope you are never stoopid enough to inadvertently lock your keys in your boot.
  8. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 30, 2012]
    Simon we don't need to give thieves a how to guide on breaking in peoples cars thats why members replied that way.
    Ste_Nova likes this.
  9. Simon1

Simon1 New Member

[Apr 30, 2012]

And there was me thinking that people offered assistance and tried to help one another rather than provide unhelpful advice. I can assure you that I am at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to taking without the owners consent.
  10. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 30, 2012]
    I do not doubt that at all but the information would be on a public forum,if I would of seen your thread I would of locked it and said PM you.
    Ste_Nova likes this.
  11. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Apr 30, 2012]
    Guess the A5 has a remote boot release in the cockpit and the car was also locked in your wife's case?

Good to know you have a secure boot and you recovered the car and locked keys without too much hassle.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. sasdiscos

sasdiscos New Member

[May 3, 2012]
    I have recently purchased a conv a5, i have to say it is very easy to lock your keys in the boot. I was playing around with it the day i got it and realised that this could happen. Just hope it doesnt catch the missus out one day when she is miles from home. I have warned her so hopfully it wont. Only happens when the car is locked and you unlock the boot on its own. So just try not to do that i suppose.
  13. techguyone

techguyone New Member

[Jun 12, 2012]
    If the rest of the car is unlocked, is there a central locking lock/unlock on it? (most cars do)

If the doors are locked too, I guess its spare key time