1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

keys help please

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by nugnah1, Mar 6, 2006.

1. nugnah1

nugnah1 New Member

ok, just changed the ignition lock and reader on my car 1996 A4 1.8T, the old key was 4 digit, the new key is 7 digits, what is the procedure for recoding the key/ immobiliser, as the car will not start, i have vag-com software but not sure where to begin. Any help would be great, cheers jason.

ps they are the old style keys.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

7 digits are for 99 on and have to be done by audi as you can't get the SKC code anymore
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/key-matching.html

if your new key is still the old type ie non flip take the keys apart and swop the chips over its the black thing about the size of a bit of rice next to the blade

4. nugnah1

nugnah1 New Member

ok, originally tried swapping the chips but still the car wouldn't start, spoke to ross-tech direct who said the 4 & 7 digit codes are for the immobiliser anyway, but using vag-com now, module 17, no response from controller. Any ideas.

cheers jason

ps I know alot of this has been covered before but I'm on the brink of torching the car, my wife has had the car 2 weeks and has not used it yet.