keys Dilemma

dale86

Reaction score
A friend of mine has this weekend had her keys stolen by some dirty **** theyve taken them out of her front door through the letterbox. Shes a single mother and very shaken her insurance wont cover the cost of changing her locks shes paid to get her house ones done but is very worried about what to do about her car. The cars a think is on an 06 A3 does anyone have any suggestions as the only solution i cant thinknof is the stealers and that not gona be cheap is it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Not good at all but something everyone should be aware of, leaving keys in the door and the risks...easier to steal the keys rather than steal the car nowadays. I would consider investing in some locking devices to prevent the thieves driving off with the car, such as steering lock, wheel clamp etc. I guess the only solution is to have all the lock barrels replaced and the immobiliser recoded but, like you say, that won't be cheap. Here's hoping for a compassionate dealer!

Where abouts are you? If your local i may be able to supply a new key and erase the old ones, if not im sure there will be a local auto locksmith that could do the same.

Shes from Middlesborough mate she can get the keys recoded for 75 quid butt theyl still be able to get into the car via the locks. I phoned a couple og lock smiths and they just advise the dealers who will deffinately not be cheap.

Replaceing the locks will be expensive, you could try a breakers yard, a good auto locksmith would remove and rebuild the locks then cut a new key.

Does she still have any key ?

A bit far for me to come to help out, Im sure if you took the locks out yourself you would be able to pop them into a local locksmith who could rebuild them for you and cut a new key blade.

You would need new transponders in the keys if she has any still to recode them. Just programming the keys is the easy part. I can gain access to the car also but unfortunately i dont personally own any key cutting equipment.

Id suggest garaging the car if its movable or fitting wheel clamps and boxing the car in if its not.

This thread should be read as a two fold warning to everybody, repeated im sure:

1) dont leave car keys or house keys in the door or within easy reach of the letter box

2) keep a spare car key, if you dont already have one, go and buy one now!!

Thanks for the info its really appreciate d she still has a key and I think she is going to get it reprgrammed but like you said its finding a good lock skith to carry out the key side of things and I bet the locks are a right pita to remove.

I would suggest having all old keys deleted immediately, that quote if it includes call out is good. a possible solution would be to jam up the door locks or disconect the rods inside rendering the locks useless. You risk more trouble if you lose the existing key though or if the remote unlock fails.