Key works.. sometimes...

Rafkoo

Reaction score
Having owned my 3.2Q for a few weeks now I have noticed a curious "fault" when I sometimes go to unlock the car... the remote key does not unlock it...!

This has maybe happend on 5 occasions in 3-4 weeks of ownership (1 in 10 times maybe), but basically, the car does not respond to the key to unlock doors or boot - and I have to manually turn the key in the door to get in. It starts the car no problem everytime, and always locks the car at the end of the journey...

Has anyone else come across this? Could this be a battery issue with the key?

Cheers
Raf

battery.... try it before anything else. But does the red LED in the key flashes when you press the button?

Pedro

LED? Mine don't have LED's on them

Mine do the odd thing with the double tap timing not working properly but never had this, very strange

I had this issue only once. One morning neither remote would work and I had to get in the car manually.

I'd noticed a few days earlier that the clock kept resetting itself and starting again from midnight. I went under the bonnet, lifted the plastic cover from the battery and saw a loose connection (can't remember if it was + or -). I had been a good samaritan and started a lady's car with my jumpleads some weeks before. Evidently the wire had worked itself loose.

Might be worth having a quick look under the bonnet if you've had similar symptoms before replacing battery/module, etc.

Thanks everyone - I'll try the battery first and take it from there.

Cheers
Raf

there is a little red led that flashes on my key... I don't have it with me but pretty sure it has...

Pedro

checked both of mine and there's no LED :( Perhaps its a newer thing?

well mate my car is in Portugal with my keys I will check again this weekend but I am pretty sure when I press a button there is a red LED on the key...

Pedro

Just to confirm... there is a red LED in the key, if I press a button the light flashes... It is in the same end as the button to open the key when it is retracted....

Pedro

must be a new thing then as neither of mine have this

interestingly though, i managed to get the car all confused today

Spend the weekend in Rochester so fo a change I locked the car, came out this morning loaded up with bags, pressed the button twice, went to open the rear doors, nothing, quite normal as mine is overly sensitive to the time lag between button presses so doesnt always open all doors on a double press

Anyway, got quite hacked off, so pressed the button about 20-30 times, then nothing

doors wouldn't lock or unlock, even with the key in the door!

After about 30 minutes all was ok though, i like it when things fix themselves :)

Haha I had this once, I stormed off after parking up because someone stole my space but then the key would not lock. I am pressing it loads, no luck so I use the key in door and again no luck.

About to be late and it won't lock :( after 5 minutes it started working again and not had the problem since.