1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

key fob Q

Discussion in 'General Technical / How To' started by ribena, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ribena

ribena Member

blundered into an ebay key fob purchase

had a good search on here for answers but nothing for my specific question

made sure all part no's and frequencies were the same, new blank cut at local key place, trundled into stealers who were v.helpful but said sorry we can't code the immobiliser as its once only???

not heard this one before, is this correct or are they being snotty cos' I did'nt get it from them ?? (they did'nt seem to be)

if the transponder/immob is once only then fair enough but I'm out of pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

if not any suggestions??
  2. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

The whole Fob thing did my head in..............was at this myself about a month ago.......I thought the programmed the fob not the immobiliser?

Anyway i am going down this line much easier....

http://www.vagparts.com/pages/A4rem.htm
  3. tonedef

tonedef Member

[ QUOTE ]

if the transponder/immob is once only then fair enough but I'm out of pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

if not any suggestions??

[/ QUOTE ]

How far out of pocket? I just bought a new key from the stealer complete, that's about £200 before I realised what i'd done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
  4. madvw

madvw Active Member

Im afraid the dealer is pulling your p.

the CAR is coded to the KEY, not the other way around.

they are trying to sting you for a new key.

i'll try and explain:

the key you have has a uniqe code. The car's ECU and dashpod is then told (adapted) to accept this key to start the engine.

There are 4 slots in the memory for unique keys, and they can be overwritten to "forget" lost keys.
  5. ribena

ribena Member

only £45 for the fob and £10 for cutting the blade

its in for a cambelt next week so I'll get them to try again

thx for comments
  6. ribena

ribena Member

they tried again and as they have been so helpful etc I have no reason to disbelieve they are ' pulling my chain'

beware ebay purchases

will have another go at ebay this time with a brand new one but will ask some questions beforehand and not leave feedback until its been coded ???
  7. madvw

madvw Active Member

well, if the part numbers to your key and the key you ebayed are identical, there are only three possibilities.

1. The key you bought is faulty.
    2. You have already got 4 keys coded to your car, and they dont want to overwrite one of the previous keys.
    3. They don't want to do it full stop.

coding a key to the car is easy, it's just you require tools and a code that the average customer doesn't have.

what reason did they give for not being able to do it?

more reading here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html under immobilizer section.
  8. ribena

ribena Member

hhmmmm

they say the key is faulty

i believe them tbh they say they tried a couple of times while they did the cambelt and given the level of service and other things they helped me out on I've no reason to think otherwise

I'm happy to put it down to experience, I've saved hundreds of pounds buying off ebay so I'm still 'up' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

if they say they can't if I get a new one off ebay then that will be different

anyone any experience of them ??
  9. madvw

madvw Active Member

tbh, buying a key of ebay is risk at the best of times - not only because they might not work, as you found out - but you may be buying a key that has been cloned, and now they know the name and address where the car is kept.

If buying off ebay, keep an eye out for the audi dealerships who advertise on there...