Key doesn't fit door lock

Derren2502

Reaction score
Hi, I bought an 2001 a3 last month and just changed the batteries in the remote fob, the problem is I only have the one key and after I changed the batteries it's lost it's memory, so I thought ok I will manually unlock the car, well at some point someone has replaced the drivers door and now the key goes in the barrel but won't turn. I am thinking they have forgot to change the barrel when they changed the door. Just need to know what my options are? can I remove the barrel and somehow change the pins to fit my key? Or can I get a barrel to fit my key from anywhere cheaper than audi? Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Hi, I bought an 2001 a3 last month and just changed the batteries in the remote fob, the problem is I only have the one key and after I changed the batteries it's lost it's memory, so I thought ok I will manually unlock the car, well at some point someone has replaced the drivers door and now the key goes in the barrel but won't turn. I am thinking they have forgot to change the barrel when they changed the door. Just need to know what my options are? can I remove the barrel and somehow change the pins to fit my key? Or can I get a barrel to fit my key from anywhere cheaper than audi? Hope this makes sense. Thanks
im in the middle of doing my door lock and basically I removed whole window with runners ect all attached just make sure wiring too window motor all disconnected then undo 4 tourqe bolts2 at sides at top of door and2 at bottom the whole window and frame will slide up and out complete!! Then there's a small gold pin that goes through plastic handle hinges on inside of door handle slide out this with a very very small flat head screwdriver take pictures of how door is adjusted ie where all the adjuster wedges go...
Then there's a black plate on inside of door on handle itself on inside of door not outside slide this towards wing mirror too release door handle complete there is a plastic lip which holds the rubber seal too stop leaks if this dosent click in properly the lock / handle will leak and cause rain too enter door which will lead too rust good luck! Here's a pick of lock removed and the black plate which actually releases door handle from door!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 152
Chances are it's had a new door or something yea. My passengers door can't be opened with the key for this very reason.

Also - worth noting that the key fob won't lose it's memory when you change the batteries, something else has gone wrong there.

they will and do lose memory if not changed in a certain amount of time

plus you can resync them very easy

Thanks for all your help, I managed to get the barrel out and swap pins around to fit key, couldn't get 3 to fit anywhere so got 5 out of 8 pins back in, reassembled it and the key will lock the door and activate alarm but when I use the key to unlock the door it only unlocks the drivers door and doesn't de activate the alarm. But on the plus side after I refitted everything the remote is now working again. I still want to get this sorted and then get another key made I think.

Try flipping the batery up the other way, seen a lot of people put them in the wrong way!
I can get a doorlock to suit your key, pm your details and ill get you a price.
If you are local and the new lock doesnt fix your issues, I could have a look over the system and see if I can fix it :D

See my post in group buys and discounts if you need a spare key too :D