1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key doesn't fit door lock

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Derren2502, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Derren2502

Derren2502 New Member

[Sep 14, 2013]
    Hi, I bought an 2001 a3 last month and just changed the batteries in the remote fob, the problem is I only have the one key and after I changed the batteries it's lost it's memory, so I thought ok I will manually unlock the car, well at some point someone has replaced the drivers door and now the key goes in the barrel but won't turn. I am thinking they have forgot to change the barrel when they changed the door. Just need to know what my options are? can I remove the barrel and somehow change the pins to fit my key? Or can I get a barrel to fit my key from anywhere cheaper than audi? Hope this makes sense. Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. darren t

darren t Member

[Sep 15, 2013]
    im in the middle of doing my door lock and basically I removed whole window with runners ect all attached just make sure wiring too window motor all disconnected then undo 4 tourqe bolts2 at sides at top of door and2 at bottom the whole window and frame will slide up and out complete!! Then there's a small gold pin that goes through plastic handle hinges on inside of door handle slide out this with a very very small flat head screwdriver take pictures of how door is adjusted ie where all the adjuster wedges go...
    Then there's a black plate on inside of door on handle itself on inside of door not outside slide this towards wing mirror too release door handle complete there is a plastic lip which holds the rubber seal too stop leaks if this dosent click in properly the lock / handle will leak and cause rain too enter door which will lead too rust good luck! Here's a pick of lock removed and the black plate which actually releases door handle from door!

Attached Files:

4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Sep 15, 2013]
    Chances are it's had a new door or something yea. My passengers door can't be opened with the key for this very reason.

Also - worth noting that the key fob won't lose it's memory when you change the batteries, something else has gone wrong there.
  5. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Sep 15, 2013]
    they will and do lose memory if not changed in a certain amount of time

plus you can resync them very easy
  6. Derren2502

Derren2502 New Member

[Sep 15, 2013]
    Thanks for all your help, I managed to get the barrel out and swap pins around to fit key, couldn't get 3 to fit anywhere so got 5 out of 8 pins back in, reassembled it and the key will lock the door and activate alarm but when I use the key to unlock the door it only unlocks the drivers door and doesn't de activate the alarm. But on the plus side after I refitted everything the remote is now working again. I still want to get this sorted and then get another key made I think.
  7. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 15, 2013]
    Try flipping the batery up the other way, seen a lot of people put them in the wrong way!
    I can get a doorlock to suit your key, pm your details and ill get you a price.
    If you are local and the new lock doesnt fix your issues, I could have a look over the system and see if I can fix it :D

See my post in group buys and discounts if you need a spare key too :D