kenwood headunit, no rear working speakers

scott b

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
ive fitted a kenwood headunit with the bose type adaptor, the front speakers work spot on, but the rear ones hardly work

ive connect all the phono leads up accordingly i think, but may of put them the wrong way round (cant remember if they were marked up on the car)

could this cause the problem. the rear little sub is still wired in, and ive also fitted 2 more subs in the boot and a seperate amp, this ive connect directly to the sub out put on the headunit, the subs work spot on

ive also fitted a kenwood BT handsfree kit that plugs into the changer output

anyone have any ideas where i may of gone wrong

cheers

Have you connected the blue flying lead on the adapter to the HU remote on (or power antenna). This provides the turn on 12v to switch the rear/sub on. As you have fitted a proper sub then a far better option would be to disconnect the tupperware sub and rewire the rear speakers back to the HU. Even if you get them working they will be stuck with the puny little Nokia amp 2 x 20w, while the fronts have more than twice that power going to them so you will have to fade to rear a lot to balance the sound and considering you have a far better amp inside the HU then you should really connect the rears to this.

im 99% certain that i conected that up

how would i go about wiring the cars rear speakers directly into the headunit loom

is it just a case of un plugging the phono leads or is another adaptor needed

cheers for your help

Is it a B6 Avant? If you fade to rear and whack up the volume is there anything from the rears?
The problem with bypassing the amp is that you will then have the same issue with the sub, even if you connect it to the sub pre-out on the HU.

yes its the avant

when fade it to the rear there is a little bit of sound there

when you say sub, do you mean the standard one, if so im not to ***** about that, as the other subs are conected to the sub pre out

cheers

Ahh no problem then. Just buy 2 lengths of speaker cable, you'll need to cut the 4 wires on the amp that run to the rears (shown below) and connect the new cable to them, ensuring +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve
B6rear-subpinout.jpg

Then run the new cable to the HU, it should just tuck under the trim. At the HU, splice the new cables into the Kenwood rear speaker harness, or if it doesn't have its own harness then buy a male/female ISO speaker harness from Maplins and use that to save butchering the Audi front speaker harness. Plug the Audi front speaker harness into the male end, and the female end into the HU. Then cut the 2 pairs of outside cables (green and purple) on the Maplin harness and connect the 2 new cables to these on the HU side. Use terminal blocks or solder the connections with some heatshrink rather than crimps. Job done.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99499

nice one, that shouldnt be a problem for us, but what do i do regarding the phono leads plug on the iso adaptor, leave them pluged in or disconect them

cheers

That's Audi for you, every model tailored for you with slightly different wiring colours. Maybe it depends on the body colour!

gonna do this on my a4,do i connect the sub as well as left+right speakers

sorry to hijack but its kind of related. I will have concert III on my upcoming S3 8P, and wanna remove it and put in the kenwood (or other) touch screen double din unit. i will spec bose so will i need to buy some adapters to make it work? I am not going to add any more subs, just change the HU - will the sound be okay?

how the hell do you get cables to the boot of a4 looks like loads of trim and rear seats gotta come out

If it's just speaker wire you can tuck it under the trim. Removing the rear seat base is a 2 minute job

where is the amp and speaker connection,how is the trim removed.

just in the process of rewiring my b6 avant non bose for my radio,dvd,tv,gps headunit,put it in today and found two faults,one being the aerial adaptor that came with it doesnt seem to do anything,its got the 12v blue wire feed,and powers up but doesnt seem to work,i know the b6 has a aerial box in the back which switches to get the best signal,may do away with all of that and just buy one of the ones that stick on the inside of the windscreen and just bypass all the audi stuff,just seems to be easyer??unless anyone knows a easyer way to get round it????also when the hu is plugged in both the front speakers work fine as these are powered off the headunit,the sub works and so does the lefthand rear speaker/tweeter,but the right rear just has a faint hissing noise coming from it??if i could find why the righthand speaker isnt working then i may leave it alone,the other way would be for me to run two wires from the hu and run the rear speakers of the 45wx4 hu as i have now found the above photo,if i do that can someone tell me can i just bridge the two wires +/- from the sub on to the new hu wires,- onto the left rear and the + onto the right rear???does the sub have a low pass filter??any help will help.
cheers

No you can't bridge the feed from the HU you will destroy it. Only separate amps can be bridged. Unless you are installing a new amp for the sub then you still need to use the Audi rear/sub amp but just for the sub. Sounds like the amp is working if you are getting a hiss, but the feed from the new HU is not connected. Ensure the RCA's are secure and just check you haven't connected the sub out to the righthand feed on the adapter by mistake.