1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep it, or get rid??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by marklad2020, Jun 22, 2009.

1. marklad2020

marklad2020 1st Gear

[Jun 22, 2009]
    I have a 2006 140 TDI Sportback. So far it's been the best Audi I've ever owned (it's my third) and it hasn't skipped a beat in almost 3 years.

Now I have a major dilema.. The lease is up in September and I'm not sure if I should hang on to it (I can get a great deal on it from the leaasing company), or buy a new car.

Really I'm not comfortable about spending lots of money on a new car in this environement, and if I do then it's not going to be the equivalent - most probably I'll go for a cheap model Golf.

So, 3 year old TDI or less good Golf? What would you go for?

One more thing - which complicates my decision - just had to book the car in for its first ever fault. When the turbo spools up the car lacks power and I hear a very very loud sucking noise. I suspect this is just the turbo inlet pipe come loose, but I'm obviously now becoming nervous about being in for a load of pain now that this car begins to show its age..

Your views and advice greatly appreciated..
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. 10blazin

10blazin HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

[Jun 22, 2009]
    diesels are reliable but ive heard quite a few on here with turbo probs or blowing but an a3 is much better looking tbh and if the turbo did blow you can get recons cheap on ebay so id stick with the a3 by the way whats the mileage on the car
  4. marklad2020

marklad2020 1st Gear

[Jun 22, 2009]
    Mileage is pretty low. 43,000km (26k miles).

Yeah, I'm not tooo worried about longer term reliability, just that I have a very low tolerance for the hassle factor that comes with niggling faults etc..
  5. 10blazin

[Jun 22, 2009]
    you may not have any more niggles depend on how hard you drive etc ....

mine's 26 thou and i had a diverter valve fault and airleak very easy to fix and shouldnt imagin to expensive if i wasnt in warrenty so id stick with the a3 but then again i would say that lol .... :whistle2:

maybe wait for some diesel guys to reply but i think i would stick with the a3 tbh the golf will also depreciate quicker than an a3 to ....
  6. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

[Jun 22, 2009]
    Hmmn.Difficult that one.I was in an identical situation in march.I got rid of my 2006 A4 2.0 tdi s line, and bought a new A4 same model but 170bhp.Biggest mistake Ive ever made.Theres nothing about this car thats on par with my old B7 bar the extra bhp.But itll cost me way too much to change.New is not always better.Id stick with the old one and take out an extended warranty.Just my experiance and opinion.
  7. marklad2020

marklad2020 1st Gear

[Jun 23, 2009]
    Thanks for your inputs guys..

Anyway, get this: Picked the car up from the dealer this evening having had the turbo problem diagnosed and fixed. Apparantly an animal had gnawed its way through the turbo inlet pipe.

He explained that this is a common problem here in Switzerland - Pine Martins have a taste for car engine parts. The little bugger has also taken a byte out of the rubber thing that goes around the front windscreen..
  8. 10blazin

[Jun 23, 2009]
    so are you gonna keep it now .... :shrug:
  9. marklad2020

marklad2020 1st Gear

[Jun 23, 2009]
    Hmm. Still undecided.. Will see what deals I can get on a new car and then make my decision. But I think its most likely that I stay in the Audi club!
  10. ianspibs

ianspibs Member

[Jun 23, 2009]
    I had a similar dilema, when my car came upto 3 years old.
    Its in good condition and running great so decided to keep it, as I would have only bought another A3, but got extended warranty cover for peace of mind.
    Car's paid for and only costs me for my warranty.
  11. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Jun 23, 2009]
    I dont know what I'll do when my lease is coming to its end.

Dont want to hang on to it in case it becomes a money pit as it gets older (its been fine so far touch wood) but anything I would want to replace it with is going to be at least as expensive as this was when new if not more! Decisions decisions!
  12. dc240969

dc240969 Member

[Jun 24, 2009]
    buyers market just now