Karls 3.0 TDI build thread

Hi Karl, great post, have really enjoyed reading this. I hope you don't mind but can I ask for some help please?
I've got an A6 3.0 tdi non dpf model (2008). I've just had the rear mufflers removed and replaced with straight pipes and 4" tips. Looks and sounds amazing on idle and full throttle, but i'm also getting this annoying "drone" around 1800-2000rpm. It's making it a pain when at cruising speed and when getting up to speed in town as you have to pass through this rev range. :-(
Any ideas what I could do please? Ideally don't want to re-use the stock mufflers due to the tips on them looking terrible (Non-dpf so they are filthy). lol. So I'm looking for something that can be done with this straight pipe I've got.

You can make the side branch resonator an adjustable length a bit like a trombone with a sliding pipe. That way you can tweak it to get the best result. A muffler will help to kill some of the drone but will also slightly affect the flow and will kill the noise all over so you will end up with a quieter exhaust. You only need one pipe and there is plenty of room to run it alongside the exhaust pipe in the tunnel.

Great idea. You say I only need one pipe? So would this need to go in the centre of the exhaust before it reaches the Y piece and splits out to the backboxes (now straight pipes)?

Perfect. sorry to have littered your thread with all this exhaust talk but thanks for your help.

Took the car to GTI International last Saturday.
I was hoping to get some sub 12 second times with the hybrid but that proved not to be.
Managed a better time with a higher terminal speed than I had done before but the problem seems to be getting as good a launch as I used to, and when changing gears especially 2nd to 3rd the boost takes a fraction of a second to come back in. It doesn't sound like much but when you are looking for 0.2-0.3 second improvement it makes the difference.
Still managed to pick up the fastest time on the Saturday with another nice trophy.

DSC 2025

The time slip

Fastest timeslip003

Went back on the Sunday and I had swapped the 18 inch wheels back to the 17's I used to run to see what difference that made. Went a little quicker but still not under 13 seconds.

Fastest timeslip sunday 13 17004

Bobby Singh had turned up with his 3.0 TDI A4. Pretty much the same car as mine but his is an auto and is running a John Deere S200 hybrid turbo with an uprated HPFP and several other engine mods, running around 450bhp and over 900Nm, the car is a missile. Running standard 18 inch S Line alloys the car is very much a sleeper but is quicker than a B8 RS4.
Ran a 12.1 second 113 mph quarter time which is very, very impressive for a diesel estate car.

GTI INTER 2016 LAUNCHING

Last edited:
Reactions: Chop., bobby singh, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Took the car to GTI International last Saturday.
I was hoping to get some sub 12 second times with the hybrid but that proved not to be.
Managed a better time with a higher terminal speed than I had done before but the problem seems to be getting as good a launch as I used to, and when changing gears especially 2nd to 3rd the boost takes a fraction of a second to come back in. It doesn't sound like much but when you are looking for 0.2-0.3 second improvement it makes the difference.
Still managed to pick up the fastest time on the Saturday with another nice trophy.

The time slip

Went back on the Sunday and I had swapped the 18 inch wheels back to the 17's I used to run to see what difference that made. Went a little quicker but still not under 13 seconds.

Bobby Singh had turned up with his 3.0 TDI A4. Pretty much the same car as mine but his is an auto and is running a John Deere S200 hybrid turbo with an uprated HPFP and several other engine mods, running around 450bhp and over 900Nm, the car is a missile. Running standard 18 inch S Line alloys the car is very much a sleeper but is quicker than a B8 RS4.

Ran a 12.1 second 113 mph quarter time which is very, very impressive for a diesel estate car.
Karl, been watching and enjoying this thread for a long time! great work!
It was awesome to see you run at Inters, I was camped on the Comrades of Vag stand, I wish I'd wondered over to the ASN stand to say hi! Congrats on the times, I put a single run in on my 3.0TDI (BMK) Quattro C6 A6. Considering the engine is standard (at the moment..) apart from the completely straight through exhaust (with Darkside 3" DP), I was happy with a 15.2 @ 90mph. Let the tuning commence! I have only delayed over concerns about the strength of the 6 speed tip-tronic box.
It was easy to tell when you were running because of the whistling 'owl' noise from yours on boost! I'm assuming that was from the gutted backboxes acting as a resonator?
Ben

Reactions: rich dj
Gratz :D You got a better time than Charlies stage 2 rs4 b7 lol (NA to be fair)
love this show because of the track.

Reactions: CHEZ and rich dj
Nice pics Karl - well done on the trophy. I'm still hoping they send me one in the post for Sunday :)
I think launching the car with 3k rpm will help and WOT gear changes.
When I had my Cosworth that use to get 5k at Santa pod - poor car

New wheels finally fitted to the car. I am very happy with them, they fill the arches a little more than the previous 17 inch wheels with the 235/45/17 tyres on.
These are 18 inch Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 18 X 8 ET35. They come in at 20Kg for the wheel and tyre combined with a 245/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3.

DSC_1956_zpsjsh163q6.jpg~original

DSC_1958_zpsfott0jfj.jpg~original

The rim protection on the new F1 asymmetric 3 tyres is nowhere as good as the older asymmetric 2 tyres.

Old asymmetric 2

new asymmetric 3

Fantastic look, and wheels.

I have 19 inch bbs wheels now how is your experience on drag racing whith bigger wheels?

I have 17 inch original audi wheels. Is this good for drag or must it be bigger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking smaller wheels being lighter and having a higher sidewall are better for 1/4 mile drag racing.
This article is interesting as it shows the effect of increasing wheel/tyre size on a car. With only the one variable changing throughout.
The fastest wheel /tyre combination is the smallest wheel/ tyre.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested
Try measuring the weight of your 17 inch wheels and the 19 inch wheels. It's not just the static weight difference it's the fact that the wheel is acting like a flywheel as it is rotating. And you have 4 wheels on the car.

Reactions: BRO-Performance and xpoweruk
Karl where did you get the floating front disks from?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mdmay
Legend Cheers mate

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

There aren't any uprated injectors for these engines. Some models of injector flow a little bit more but only a few %. Bobby changed his pump from a CP4 to a CP3 as the CP4 is good for pressure but doesn't have the flow. He is running his pump at 2200 bar to get enough fuel injected. My car has a CP1H pump which does have good flow and hopefully if it can keep the pressure up at 1800 bar it should make around 370 ish bhp.
Not thought of the bi turbo injectors ???

I am 95% sure that the Bi turbo injectors are not physically the same dimensions as the injectors in my engine. Looking at pictures of the them they have O rings in different places. It seems that the standard injectors along with a hybrid are a reasonable match as the injection system will provide as much fuel as the turbo can supply air for.
Bobby Singh has proved that standard injectors with a bigger pump running 2200 bar plus and a larger non standard turbo will goto 450 bhp plus.

Reactions: xpoweruk
if you dont mind me asking what size wheel did you get put in your hybrid i have been looking at 11 blade 53/72+4mm tips and 58/76+4mm tips dont wanna go too large and make it laggy as this will be coupled with a larger turbine also... what boost/rpm do you return with vnt and iq ? just so i can gauge whats possible with regards to spool

regards

Nate B

You definitely don't need the larger 76mm compressor wheel, there is no point, the exhaust side of the turbine won't flow enough to support that even with an AMG turbine. You will just make it more laggy than it would need to be unless you are trying to make a dyno queen.
My hybrid has a 50 / 62 mm compressor wheel with extended tips taking it to 66mm. I used a 6 + 6 wheel.
It runs just over 2 bar of boost max. Getting the turbo to spool with minimal smoke took some time and each one will be different but you will need to spend some tome with what is the equivalent of the N75 map on the EDC17.
Injection quantity is around 92-93mg/str from 2600 to 4300 rpm
If you are going for 380bhp plus fit water methanol.

Has anyone fitted little external wastegate from egr port to a screamer pipe or back into the dp.... This would negate the turbine restriction and make alot of power as flow would be good and once it opens vnt can keep.the boost up as its already spooled

I actually looked into this as a possibility, couldn't find anybody who had done it on a 3.0 TDI but it should be possible. Getting the bypass properly integrated and working would take some work though.

There you go Karl , you've given yourself a little job to do , lol .

Reactions: Joe3.0tdi and CHEZ
It looks straightforward enough and routing length is minumal ... Putting it straight into the dp would also keep noise sensible and short ... No control is needed just run a stiff spring so it opens around full boost time it will open the vnt will catch it... Loads of flow and still all the boost its win win

How will you end up with more emp? When it opens the turbine is essentially bypassed ? For the most part anyway just enough to keep it spinning without the vnt dropping right off to control it ... More flow more power same boost level ??

For x amount of boost you need y amount of exhaust energy.
y energy comes from deltaP x Volume flow
So if you decrease the volume flow via this egr port you need more deltaP over the turbine for the same shaft power.

Basically fit a bigger exhaust wheel :)

The larger the compressor wheel you have the more energy that is required to drive it as well. As I say I did look into this and people have done similar things on custom turbo installations but it is difficult to get working correctly. As Bobby says to provide the energy required to drive the turbine to make the boost requires something like 3-4bhp of power transmitted from the turbine to the compressor.
You may be able to bleed a small amount of boost off but not a significant amount.
As Bobby says the best thing to do is match the compressor and turbine. A Hybrid will only allow you to go so far.

Do you think you might go for a larger after market turbo eventually Karl or are you happy with where you are at the moment?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

No I am happy with the performance as it is. I think Bobby is leading the way in terms of where to go if you want the most out of your 3.0 TDI.

Reactions: Joe3.0tdi
Hi Karl, will this air intake flap exist on my A6 2008 3.0 tdi do you think? and Do I need to remove the entire airbox to do this mod?
Thanks, Richard.

[The air box has a vacuum operated butterfly flap in the bottom that opens at some point, not sure when.
I took the butterfly out and added an intake trumpet that is used on the S4 / s5 cars.]

Not many updates on here for a while. Finally got the Hybrid turbo fully sorted and hopefully car will be remapped shortly.
Just been tweaking with VCDS after I read a post on here about enabling extra brake lights. seems a little daft only having 1 brake light bulb each side when you can have 3 :) On the Avant If you add 3 to the coding of the 4 channels 195,196,203,204 you enable the bulbs to work as brake lights as well. If you add 6 then they will flash with the indicators as they do in North America.
Not too sure about the saloon coding. Channel 195, 196 should be the same add 3. I think the coding shown below for 203, 204 for the saloon will make the lights flash with the indicators as well as act as brake lights.

Here's a summary of the coding to enable the middle and inner bulbs as brake for the B8 halogen:

Module 46 - Adaptation
Password: 16017

Sedan (Limo):

Channel 195: Left middle - 10753 -> 10759 (add 3)
Channel 196: Right middle - 10785 -> 10791 (add 3)
Channel 203: Left inner (on Limo also Fog) - 8778 -> 8775 (subtract 3)
Channel 204: Right inner (on Limo also Fog) - 8810 -> 8807 (subtract 3)

Avant:

Channel 195: Left middle - 14849 -> 14855 (add 3)
Channel 196: Right middle - 14881 -> 14887 (add 3)
Channel 203: Left inner (on Limo also Fog) - 14849 -> 14855 (add 3)
Channel 204: Right inner (on Limo also Fog) - 14881 -> 14887 (add 3)

Bulb out warnings:

Channel 181: 65535 -> 0 (rear halogen to LED conversion)
Channel 191: 65295 -> 0 (disable all rear bulb out warnings)
Channel 192: 3 -> 2 (disable licence plate bulb out warning)

Just enabled the extra brake lights on the left in this picture.

Karl,

i have a 3.0 TDI SE 2009 but an ex-demo so all the add ons that come with it. i am very interested in this mod. did you need any additional cables to link the inner and outer lights in sequence? or was it simply a straight software change?

regards

Andy

Hi Andy it's just a coding change with VCDS. There is no rewiring required at all.

Karl

Brilliant just had it done! What a difffence it makes and it begs why Audi have never enabled such a simple safty feature.

Many thanks

Andy

Reactions: desertstorm
Just thought I'd give some feedback about the airbox flap removal.
I completed this tonight and took me about 20 minutes. Very easy to do!
Took the car out for a spin and can definitely notice a difference. Low down pull is stronger without doubt. Very happy that you found this out and posted a guide!
Cheers Karl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: desertstorm
kanecullen89: did you just remove the flap or you also added this pipe like Karl did?

kanecullen89: did you just remove the flap or you also added this pipe like Karl did?

I just removed the flap. I left the stock pipe on there. If I had more time I would have used a heat gun to open it up a little more but I did it last night in my pj's with vanishing light but it worked well for me! Was a more pleasant drive than usual this morning. Pull is definitely stronger down low. I know it's easy to get placebo effect but I really don't think it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk