Karcher off water butt!

Mindak

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, does anybody here run their pressure washer off their water butt?
bought myself a karcher k2 last week as hear they are compatible!

My brother runs his pressure washer off a water butt, but uses a pump that he got from Wickes to filter the water (and add some pressure as I don't think the pressure washer can drag the water through a hose alone). Seems to work fine..

His pressure washer is old so not sure if the newer ones are different

Last edited:
I think I've read somewhere it's not great for the paintwork to use rain water as it's more abrasive than filtered tap water but I'm sure you could filter it. Plus I'm not a professional detailer so could be wrong.

I run my Nilfisk from my water butt you need more than one butt, I use three first one is the filter.

I'm not planning to use it up close, probs use if just for snow foam, washing off, under arches etc, do want to find out about filters though!

I have used the water from my water butt in a large water container. I used a small length of hose connected to my karcher without any issues. I think the karcher has a mesh filter where the lance attaches to the karcher.

i have the karcher k5 and use a water but with the karcher sucktion hose as it has i anty sython on it so all you do is put the filter end in the water but lift up and down a few times then connect it to your karcher and it works fine

May have to look up about the suction hose, going to do a trial run on the patio first! Lol

i got the suction hose the only truble is that its not that long so i went to a garden center and got 10m of 22mm hose so i dont have to move the water butt that cost £10 cheaper then ebay

The suction hose does seem very short, you can see it in this video. I just attach the hosepipe to the water butt tap (also in the video). I've found you can run a pretty long length of hose this way and it still works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my nilfisk from a bucket of water with a small hose just fine. You don't need the suction kit.

the truble with karcher is that if it has to suck from an empty hose it cuts off so you need to get the water down the hose and that is a good thing with no return valve