1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karcher foam lance and greasy paint??

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Craigybaby37_A3quattro, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Craigybaby37_A3quattro

Craigybaby37_A3quattro Member

[Jan 12, 2008]
    got 2 different questions here.

1: Ive got a karcher foam lance attachment and used it today for the first time. I was using a 10:1 ratio of water to meguires gold class shampoo and i didnt get the snow foam effect that i have seen some other people achieve. It foamed up yes but it just run off the car a few seconds later. Would u say ime using the wrong shampoo or am i doing something stupid???

2: After giving the car a good going over with a sonus sfx-2 pad and the sfx-2 polish and then a coat of blackfire midnight ivory wax in places it felt like the car was greasy and in the reflection it realy shew up so how can i go about gettin rid of the greasy look???
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. deuce

deuce Member

[Jan 12, 2008]
    Just bought my Karcher and Foam attachment, so I'm by no means an expert, but... have a read thru the following I just found:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2417

The bits most relevant to you include,

- Gold Class coming in last for its foaming capabilities.
    - If you adopt the testers rationale, your mix ratio is way to weak (he recommends 4:1).

It's interesting reading if anything :icon_thumright:
  4. jr001

jr001 Member

[Jan 13, 2008]
    Not familiar with the Karcher lance, but perhaps the greasy feel is an application of the wax that is too thick? Or maybe the cloths you are using to buff off any residue. For an A4-sized saloon, or even the recent Cayman, I used 5 or 6 plush microfibre cloths and turned them after each panel.

The paint shouldn't be greasy after buffing off the wax properly. Give it a spray of detailing spray and use fresh cloths to buff. After a wash of course.
  5. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Jan 14, 2008]
    Shampoos do not work as well as dedicated foaming agents. Most shampoos need at least 4:1 before they foam well; sometimes even more concentrated. Compare this to Meguiars Hyper Wash, where the dilution ratio is 400:1! The thick foam you see on many forum pictures comes from using Hyper Wash or Super Snow Foams.

Regards the greasy finish, chances are at this time of year that some of the wax is not fully curing in the cold weather. My advice would be to always follow up the wax buffing with a full quick detail a couple of hours later, to ensure all traces of wax residue and oils are fully removed. Any good quick detailer will do, but Meguiars Last Touch is the perfect choice. :)
  6. Craigybaby37_A3quattro

Craigybaby37_A3quattro Member

[Jan 14, 2008]
    Think ime gunna buy some hyper wash as it seems to be the much better choice. Then i can use the goldclass for the 2nd hand wash with the lambswool mit.

and ill definatly give it a try with the detailer spray a few hours after its it looked horrible when the sun shined on the car but when it was behind clouds it looked fine an you couldnt tell it was greasy.

And just to let you know the Blackfire ivor wax i purchased from you is bloody fantastic well worth the money in my eyes the finish is perfect for what i was after. And as for protection i could tell the difference the next morning as my bonnet and roof were covered in tiny little beads of water and when i drove down the road they simply come off without a trace :icon_thumright:
  7. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Jan 15, 2008]
    Cheers for the feedback, glad you like; it is a great wax, and in full sun it does give a slight shimmer, which is unusual for a wax at this price point. :icon_thumright:
  8. cheekeemonkey

cheekeemonkey Member

[Jan 17, 2008]

Is this the "new" improved wax at £40 or is it the one that's got the £10 off

newbie question: what's the "real" difference between the two?

thanks
  9. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Jan 17, 2008]
    This is the new one; the difference between them is slight, but noticeable all the same. Essentially, the new one has a higher carnauba wax content. In the real world, to our eyes, it gives a more shimmery effect when the sun plays on the paint, and is visibly wetter looking too. :icon_thumright: