K04 Turbo kit for 1.8T engines

Reaction score
Noticing the posts regarding people looking to increase their A4's power output (supercharging/S4 engine transplants), I wondered if any of the 1.8T crowd had noticed the K04 full kits being offered by Neuspeed in the states?

Considering the pound's current high value against the dollar, $1999.95 seems like a good deal for a full kit. Sure their will be shipping and taxes involved, but compared to the prices some Uk tuners are asking :

Qst - £3340 inc fitting +vat
AMD - £2999.00 inc fitting +vat

If you fit it yourself, it seems like a viable option. What do people think?

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=13|AQ&type=11&ltype=ns_euro&p_id=196

Regards,

N

the engine shop do a k-04 turbo for £750 i think, bolt straight on, i think that must be a k-03 converted to k-04.

also look at big boyz toyz selling ATP k03 eliminator turbo's, garrett gt28x i think it is for £1295, these are capable of upto about 290bhp where as the k04 i think runs out of puff about 250-260bhp if that.

keep an eye on your internals and fueling though, i have heard mixed reports of the lesser a4 1.8t engines only being able to handle around 240bhp before the rods can break.

i am going the stronger rods and pistons route and hopefully won't over stress the internals, but this is costing a lot more.

Ive heard of the ATP eliminator kits, but couldn't see any on the BigBoyzToyz site.

ATP have the GT2X eliminator kits for the A4 priced at $1,295. Apparently this is a straight forward bolt-on to the standard manifold.

I've also heard about the A4 1.8T engines only being reliable upto around 240hp. Perhaps thats why these are the figures companies like AMD quote for their uprated turbo kits.

Tbh, 240hp isn't bad, especially if you keep your reliability too. What would be the cost for stronger pistons and rods, could you just use those out of the higher spec 1.8T engines?

Regards,

N

stock aeb engine good for 300hp 300tq. tuning is the key! head over to audizine and check out some of the numbers there.

I have a K04. All you need is the turbo and the tuning for it. Buying from the US may have a problem with the software for it depending on your ECU number.

The eliminator is bolt on as well but would require a few more bits and bobs.

Like clutch, injectors and some other bits would help to like a fmic.

macca said:
the engine shop do a k-04 turbo for £750 i think, bolt straight on, i think that must be a k-03 converted to k-04.

also look at big boyz toyz selling ATP k03 eliminator turbo's, garrett gt28x i think it is for £1295, these are capable of upto about 290bhp where as the k04 i think runs out of puff about 250-260bhp if that.

keep an eye on your internals and fueling though, i have heard mixed reports of the lesser a4 1.8t engines only being able to handle around 240bhp before the rods can break.

i am going the stronger rods and pistons route and hopefully won't over stress the internals, but this is costing a lot more.

Hows that when there are plenty of people on here with S3's with more BHP than that from just a remap!

also the s3 had stronger internals, and also i think there are a lot of over estimated power figures out there, but we'll see.

stronger rods and pistons are about £1000- £1200 but you'll need new bearinging, rebore, crank reground etc etc, my engine is costing about £3000 with cams and a bit of head work as well on top.

k-04 i think is a good route if standard internals, i don't know if audi tt injectors and maf fit as well, but that might be something to look into. for me 240bhp didn't really float my boat, i would like atleast 300bhp, anymore is a bonus, but i am going 550cc injectors, bigger maf, gt3071, different manifolds, and basically spending a small fortune.

I know a lad with a mk2 golf running a 1.8t From an audi a3 (AGU) it was rolling roaded at 340 and thats with standard internals and an IHI turbo and has so far been abused for well over 18 months with no problems whatsoever. It is getting a rebuild with forged internals now to take it to the next stage 400+

macca said:
stronger rods and pistons are about £1000- £1200 but you'll need new bearinging, rebore, crank reground etc etc,

Hmm, sounds like almost having a completely new engine.

If I can get upto 240-ish reliable horses without spending a fortune, then I think thats as far as I would take my A4, its not a bad increase from the standard 180 Bhp.

I'm not really looking for lots more power, having previously owned an E36 M3 with 321 Bhp and a new Evo8 with 300+ Bhp, i've had my road monsters. Its just the A4 is such a good car and the traction is excellent - it really needed 200+ hp from the factory.

Regards,

N

Reactions: jimmetal84
Our cars can handle up to 340-350bhp before the big bang and as for the gt28x kit I would not bother the Americans don’t rate this kit at all.

Have a look at the GT28RS and GT2871 kits which are more proven and the Americans love them and that around 340bhp at the wheels on stock internals and no bangs as of yet.

The K04-15 on our cars are only good for around 240bhp and when you way up the cost you might as well go for the bigger turbo kits with bigger power gains.

The only problem you will have is mapping and this could be costly as most tuners will charge by the hour and not at a fixed price although there is a GIAC agent here in the UK that may be able to adapt the US chip to UK spec parameters or use it as a base and save you a load of rolling road time.

suppie69 i have a a4 qt like yours how did you get the turbo to work what do i neeed to moke a kkk k04 turbo to work proppa did you bhave any problems having this sort of tuning done because i wuld like k04 turbo on mine but no one seems to know any thing about it oh and one more thing what dash lights should come on and then go out there are a few that don't light up thanks for any help

a4 1.8tq standard

Soupie69uk said:
The K04 is more restrictive on the A4's than the S3's as the engine is fitted the other way round.

How do you mean? A4 longitudinal set up is much more "straight through" for both induction and exhaust than a transverse set up. Also has less pipe reversal for the intercooler when FMIC, generally less pipe work when done properly

I was under the impression that you need a specific version of a KO4 to fit an A4 set up (KO4-15 or something) otherwise do you not need a new manifold?

If you are looking for high 200's cheaply then I think a KO4 is a good option, if you are looking for a 320+ monster...look for a proper turbo. At that level they are on the absolute limit and you are asking for trouble.
check out the Mk2 golf forums as these are standard engine swaps for those looking for an upgrade (Audi TT BAM engines).

As for engine builds, look to the US for rods and pistons, the crank is strong already, especially if your engine has a forged unit. $1000 gets you a lot!
You can buy a full Eurospec short engine with forged alu pistons, H beam rods and their top drawer knife edged crank for around £1200. That is good for 400+, way more than most people will need.

Big port head already flows well and the cam is a good one, straight swap with you existing head (if it is a big port one of course AJL engine codes etc...)

I say this again, before you do a KO4 for serious power, find someone who has fitted one and gone to 300+bhp on it......ask them. get figures for spool up and power curve, get dyno logs and see how driveable and useful it will be

I wouldn't but that is just my 2p worth