K04 Super hybrid +

beachbuggy

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't follow FB.

This I tested my new K04 super hybrid. So what's different to your normal hybrid.

1) custom made billet 7+7 compressor wheel , same size as existing hybrids but an extra pair of blades
2) custom made larger turbine extending the original inducer on the turbine from 50mm to 55mm and 5% bigger exducer.
3) custom made 15psi actuator.

Initial tests show that the hinder of surge with the old hybrid has now been eliminated.. This has profound impact on performance as where by the old hybrid needed to be throttled back below 4750rpm to ensure surge didn't occur we can now throw in 23psi boost straight with no surge..

This can be made between 3k and 3.5k and held till redline meaning in the rpm range from 3.5 to 5250 rpm an equivalent potential of 50bhp can be made extra over the existing hybrids..

This is still early stages and more testing is planned.

This is the old hybrid v super.. Improvements in maf and boost..

photo_zpse5f2b06a.jpg

photo_zps126c742f.jpg

So with all the toys etc fitted what would the max potential for this hybrid be dan in power terms?

So with all the toys etc fitted what would the max potential for this hybrid be dan in power terms?

Its very difficult to say, although the parts flow more and faster the limiting factor, the hotside still remains. Now whether the larger turbine aids removal of the exhaust gas which allows more flow without increasing egts we will only find out once its running. What it does do or is capable of is making more airflow sooner ie 1000-1500rpm quicker than existing hybrids. This can only improve the mid range even if the top end stays the same having a potential 50bhp more in the mid range is the key here. We found with the new k03 hybrids its making the power sooner and maintaining it thus making the area under the curve much bigger than the previous hybrid.

Time will tell, but I can say the difference even from the initial testing is night and day to what is currently available...

I think on the right car Prawns record will be beaten.

My biggest aim was to eliminate surge...

argh. Damn you for texting me, I was half joking, I think, maybe.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The only person that's going to beat my record is me, I'll make sure of that :laugh:

Reactions: ReDBull
this on small port or large Dan? what's the rest of the spec? Would be interested to see what happens on a dyno

Large port head, large port manifold, AGU pistons. V2 manifold, 3" dp and 100cell cat. Welly cooler, 3" custom tip... Basically same as you... But on an me7.5 with vvt....

No WMI... I might just have to continue with it on mine and take your crown... ;-)

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Sounds interesting! Am tempted for go for this when I send you my turbo Dan...

Right I've just had my hybrid ko4 back from cr to be checked and all was fine.......but if this is better then mine currently then your getting it next before its used too lol. What do you say?

argh. Damn you for texting me, I was half joking, I think, maybe.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The only person that's going to beat my record is me, I'll make sure of that :laugh:

Ron might be able to dude :)

Not until you get a hybrid :laugh:

*I'd strongly recommend buying brakes before buying a bigger turbo

Reactions: LED20VT
Not until you get a hybrid :laugh:

*I'd strongly recommend buying brakes before buying a bigger turbo

i was thinking of a clarkson log would be enough :), TBH id need a lot more than just bigger brakes, the whole project would have to be re thought and re done tbf

Very nice dan! Watching closely!! Good luck with the developments. :thumbsup:

needs to get onto a dyno soon :)
see whats actually occuring.

We have seen uber high airflows before but not the power which you would expect to accompany it.

c'mon Dan... :)

Roll up :) :) :)

i go buy a garrett and now this comes out! ***. Sooooo much easier

Even if it doesnt out perform current hybrids, the gains mid range are EPIC. That will make for a fast car.

Atleast with a Garrett you should have a reliable manifold lol

Stupid question time. What is surge?

basically, turbo consumes more air than the engine can consume
In part you are correct but its the compressor which stalls that causes the surge. This can be a result of a badly matched turbine or other factors. Interesting, for me any way , is that we thought before it was because the engine could not consume the air thus resulting in surge , however now we have a potential situation where it could be the engine has no issue in consuming the air but the turbo its self is the limiting factor causing the surge.

All I can say for sure is that the "old" k04 hybrids surged. Upto 4.5k boost had to be limited to around 16-18psi to stop surge. Clipping was/is used to help but its still there. The new k03 hybrid with the rs6 styled turbine but new 7+7 compressor can and will make 23psi at a little over 3k! Thus proving the engine is able to cope with that boost! This current + version has run at 30psi at 3.75k with no surge but has a bigger turbine. Until the 7+7 is fully tested with rs6 sized wheel in a k04, we won't know for sure if the 7+7 has a surge line moved far enough away that surge isn't an issue on a 1.8t or whether in a k04 the larger turbine is the key..

Regardless if you beat surge then it opens up the whole mid range.

surge is my nightmare.. The whole point in my r&d has to be find away of eliminating surge. And fingers crossed its been done. Just need to convert the theory into practice and get the dyno results to match..

Your really inovating and pushing the boundarys with these hybrids and its amazing the promising capabilitys of this new hybrid :)

Is there a possibility of a bigger AR turbine housing releasing more top end flow from these?

IIRC have you managed to get hold of one for Daves hybrid/eliminator (cant remember what his is lol)?