1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K04-23 with ported K03-29's turbine housing, possible?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by mäggäri, Jun 26, 2014.

1. mäggäri

mäggäri New Member

So my question is, if I have a K04-23 from S3 or TT, and turbine housing off a longitudinal turbo... (like K03-029 / K03-73 / K04-15) then port it's turbine hole to same diameter as K04-23 has. Could these two pieces become "hybrid" for A4 B5?

Is it only the porting of the turbine place which needs attention when building this kind of turbo?

Greetings from Finland. :D
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Yep.

Its more than just "porting", it needs machined and is a precision job. The wastegate area also needs porting to maximise flow thru the housing.

My avant has a K04-023 hybrid, ie even bigger wheels than the -023, and its fitted to a standard A3 K03 turbine housing.

The A4 housing is quite restrictive, so dont expect quite the same figures you'd get from a proper -023, but you'll get a decent gain.
  3. mäggäri

mäggäri New Member

What you think, will the custom longitudinal K04-023 be better than original K04-015? I am only after a turbo which is better than K0-015 and is bolt-on. Since I have the "V8+LT" clutch kit waiting for 1Z flywheel to arrive from Germany.
    And also there's a 3" DP lying on my floor, which has the KKK flange on it. It is made by Zinram Engineering.

Also I have one TD04HL-15T from about -05 Aero saab, which is tight like virgin, no shaft play at all or what so ever. First I was planning to go with this, but suddenly it all changed. :)
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. aragorn

Ye its defo better than the -015.

The -015 is basically no better than the K03s the A3/Golf lot got.

I'd say the -023 core should make 260hp or so if you get a good tuner onboard.
  5. mäggäri

mäggäri New Member

How about BEX's slightly DIY-ported exhaust manifold, would that be enough? Again, something bit better than original parts. :) Does the "highflow" KKK manifold add turbo lag?

I was like 80-20 about to get a B7 3.0TDI quattro and begin messing with it. But I simply can't resist B5 models :D.

OT: ATM I have 2 B5 1.8tsq sedans. Black from OCT/2000 with webasto and black s4 interior. Silver one (facelift -99) with DEFA and "White" S4 interior. It's quite expensive to own a car here due to Finnish Car Tax, i.e. proper A4 1.8tsq facelifts with reasonable mileage are about 7000e-8000e and B7 3.0tdi from 13000eur and up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. aragorn

Mines on a stock manifold, which had its collector ported.

The aftermarket manifolds are all pretty crappy and like to crack. You wont notice any great amount of lag from the high-flow manifold, they're just nasty to fit and dont last well!
  7. mäggäri

mäggäri New Member

Exactly. I was aware of the quality issue. That is why I was planning to get a BEX manifold. There used to be several BEX manifolds available in Bildelsbasen.se - Sveriges st�rsta utbud av bildelar. All this just to make my hands dirty, with no real gains on hp/torque. :D I could then leave my original manifold in my garage.

Back to top quality of OEM manifolds, don't you think the turbine casing would become weaker after porting it completely? Those tend to crack quite often too, not thru but at least on the surface of the casting.