K04 015 turbo question

jgttdi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a few answers, I'm looking to upgrade a few things on my TQS.

I'm looking for around 250bhp plus if possible and was wondering if the k04 015 turbo is a good way to go to achieve this?

I'm on a bit of a budget as we have our 1st baby on the way and I'm sure that is going to take a lot of my hard earned.

If anyone has one of these on there cars can you advise, or just any info would be great.

I know there is a search engine to check these things but there's loads of mixed views.

Thanks in advance J

Ive been toying with this, but for now I'm going to keep researching and get the K03 remapped.

I did spot these kits, and If I was going to do the swap I'd probably copy an existing setup to keep the development to the minimum.

AWE Tuning Performance K04 Turbo Upgrade Kit | AWE Tuning

From what I can see, they are selling;
Turbo
Fuel pressure regulator
spark plugs
and a remap

The also state that you require a better exhaust.

The claims are with the map, exhaust and turbo are:
235 hp 265 ft/lbs
and with what looks like a different map, injectors and a front mount intercooler
295ft/lbs
247hp

There is no mention of a bigger MAF, there is also no mention of the TIP, do K03 and K04 use the same TIP?

Its quite tempting to fit a K04 with the stock intercooler and shoot for a nice and simple, and reliable 230hp.

K04-015 is a bit of a waste of time tbh, its only a very small upgrade over the stock one.

Get yourself a hybrid from someone like Dan (beachbuggy), it'll cost less than a new K04-015 and it'll be much better!

What route would you guys recommend going down for this?

Thanks J

Last edited:
If your on a budget go for the beachbuggy hybrid !!

just out of interest aragorn how much are the beachbuggy hybrids ?? Are they similar to the FT F4HL or F21 ??

never get 250 on a K04-15 in a million years. You need a BB hybrid or similar, it will however not produce the power of it's transverse counterparts due to a restrictive hotside on the longitudinal engines

So a K04-015 is maxed out way before 250bhp?

Do any of you have build threads or step by step info?

I appreciated all the info received so far.

many build threads in here, I tried a k04-15 many years ago and went onto hybrids, still limited by hotside

many build threads in here, I tried a k04-15 many years ago and went onto hybrids, still limited by hotside

hows yours running now mate ?? you had it all tuned up yet ?? Hows it feel with the full frame mani on is it one of them race spec ones on ebay ?? As i seen that it has an extra support bracket on the turbo flange ???

The K04-015 is pretty similar to the K03-073 used on the B6 190HP A4. Those map up to around 230hp and thats your whack.

My beachbuggy hybrid has an S3 compressor housing, 2280 (Focus ST) compressor wheel, and RS6 turbine. Its basically as big as you can go. The compressor wheel is good for 320hp or so.

Its currently running at 12psi actuator pressure, and going on MAF readings (140g/sec on an unscaled 3" MAF), is making around 230-240hp. IE it still has LOADS of scope for pushing it further.

As mark says, the hotside is the main restriction, and i recon my turbo will probably start to choke around 270-280ish if the boost was wound up due to the hot side. Will find out at some point in the future how it gets on, once i get it mapped up!

I'm not sure on the price, mine was a special price due to it being a prototype, and dan hasnt told me how much it should have cost, i suspect somewhere around £700 for the full-on one like mine, but you'll need to ask dan to be sure as it'll vary depending on the exact parts you choose to use.

Aragorn thanks for your reply, is it possible to run either a K04-015 or a hybrid like yours on it's own without any other mods or a map?

I.e can I fit just the turbo and the car still be drivable? Obviously to get the best from the turbo various other parts would have to be changed also.

Thanks J

Yeh, it is, depending on what you do though, you might not get any more power, or it might not be safe.

If you fit a smallish hybrid, like the RS4 one i had on the avant before, you can run it totally stock, however you wont get any more power, as the ECU just modulates the boost back to maintain stock performance.

With my big hybrid, the problem is that even at actuator pressure, its flowing waay more air than the stock parts can cope with. What i've done on that, is install a 3" MAF housing and larger injectors, plus a big intercooler. This fools the ECU into fuelling properly, and thus its making around 230-240hp on a stock tune. I have to run with the N75 disconnected though, because the actuator is much more powerful than the ECU expects (12psi vs 5psi), so i just get a flat boost curve of 12psi.

This is all interesting stuff.

Im really undecided what route to take. I dont want to spend a forture, but I'm not after top figuires either - a healthy improvement would be good enough.

Im also trying to avoid any abortive work / expense.

The K04-015 is about £200 on ebay for a refurb unit with a 1yr warranty. for that Im sure its just had an inspection and new seals, but its probably in better shape than the 80k mile old K03 thats on the car. Thats a darn sight cheaper than hybrid by the sounds of it, although not as capable. If I was to be swapping the turbo for £200 id be happy with a good solid 230-240hp which it sounds like it would deliver with a few supporting mods, as well as the knowledge that im now running a fresh refurbed turbo.

the 200 turbo will be chinese copy and will require porting to bring it to the spec of a proper borg warner hotside and then the chra will probably need balancing. once mapped with appropriate mods you syill be lucky to see 230

Ah, bloomin chinese rubbish!

So a K03 hybrid at circa £700 is probably the best option - but way outta my budget. Looks like i'll stick to remapping the K03.

200 bhp ish form that and best bag for buck, after that it's a long sliperly slope

Genuine Borg Warner k04 is IRO £1000 now

Go hybrid its the way new cars are going then slap a prius hybrid badge on the **** end just for fun lol