1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K03s shaft play

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by takworldwide, May 3, 2011.

1. takworldwide

takworldwide Member

Hi guys and gals,

just want to know what would be classed as acceptable shaft play if any at all? some people say shaft play is ok with the unit disconnected, then some say there should be no play....alot of conflicting advice.

would anybody recommend refurbishing the turbo themselves? as money is pretty tight at the mo!

cheers

Tom.
  2. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Small amount, and I mean small, of side to side play is OK.... In and out is bad.
  3. takworldwide

takworldwide Member

cheers welly,

How much would be considered as small 2/5/10mm? would there be no play if i refurbished it?

is there anything else i should be looking out for?
  4. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

It might not sound much, but the thickness of a piece of paper either way, it will feel like a lot though when you move the shaft.

It doesn't tend to be play in the bearings you feel, but more the play in the compressor oil seal, if the seal is worn then you'll get alot of play and normally a smokey turbo. This would be followed with markings on the housing where the blades rub and also worn blades.

The one to watch out for is in and out play. This means the thrust bearing is worn, and while it wont cause oil to leak, what happens is that as the turbo spins it moves in and out as it's basically a propellor, as you increase boost it moves one way and as it decreases it moves back, over time the thrust bearing wears so much the blades wear themselves out on the housings.

When refurbished you will have some play side to side and litterally no play in and out.