K03 - k04? What do I need ?

vince, A3 turbo

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm thinking about starting to collect all the bits I need 2 put a k04 on my 1.8 turbo, (agu) but not to sure what I need.obviously ko4, manifold, and down pipe off a s3 but will I need, injectors? Fuel pressure regator? Fuel pump? Or and thing else? All help much appreciated :) cheers

Alright guys I'm thinking about starting to collect all the bits I need 2 put a k04 on my 1.8 turbo, (agu) but not to sure what I need.obviously ko4, manifold, and down pipe off a s3 but will I need, injectors? Fuel pressure regator? Fuel pump? Or and thing else? All help much appreciated :) cheers

First question. Why a K04?

It's a ***** of a swap, and there are better, more cost effective options out there IMO.

Only coz I might be able to get one cheap off a mate with manifold maybe,

Only coz I might be able to get one cheap off a mate with manifold maybe,

Fair enough. You will need:

K04 downpipe (K03 one is totally different).
A K04 (obviously).
K04 manifold.
K04 oil and coolant lines.
K04 turbo intake pipe.
S3/LCR injectors
S3/LCR MAF
A map to suit.

Wicked thanks dude, were can I get injectors and maf and gonna put a badger 5 tip :) helped fit on on aarons s3 and felt ace after wards :) were does the maf go? Between filter and tip? Prob a silly question I no lol, cheers

Depends on what you mean by what you need... as the K04 is a different fitment to the K03 then you will need mani, turbo, TIP and down pipe minimum (suggest 3" aftermarket rather thant the POS OEM one)... getting it to fit an A3 will then require some sort of modification to the charge pipe work which could be mostly sorted fitting an ebay A3 FMIC kit (which you will need for a K04)...

To get it running you will need S3 injectors, S3 MAF housing (keeping your AGU MAF sensor) and some sort of air filter... then the whole thing will need custom mapping...

As said, there is a lot of work involved and not much gain over a decent K03s setup tbh... you would be better off spending your hard earned on a K03s and all the mods and end up with a quick 230 odd bhp... the lighter FWD A3 will be quicker than a stage 1 S3 anyway..

<tuffty/>

Wicked thanks dude, were can I get injectors and maf and gonna put a badger 5 tip :) helped fit on on aarons s3 and felt ace after wards :) were does the maf go? Between filter and tip? Prob a silly question I no lol, cheers

MAF you will just have to buy new really. It's not worth risking getting a dodgy second hand MAF. Buy new, at least you know it will work.

Injectors, well ebay is probably your best bet, however the Astra VXR injectors will fit the loom and are slightly larger than S3 ones - but not much. They are also cheap at around £130 for a brand new set of 4 from Vauxhall. This will require a live map really.

The MAF goes in place of the MAF you already have. Old one out, new one in (the tube).

for the money your gonna end up spending on that getting it all up and running, you could probably almost get a gt28rs kit which would just bolt straight on and give you 300+ :yes:

for the money your gonna end up spending on that getting it all up and running, you could probably almost get a gt28rs kit which would just bolt straight on and give you 300+ :yes:

I'd go with the K03 Hybrid, which is a K03 with K04 internals.

Known to produce up to and including 260 bhp and will bolt on with everything you already have.

didnt even think of that :keule: thats an even better option! good power for decent money

Yep, tried and tested... works a treat in all the Ibizas/Leons I have seen... will still need injectors/MAF tube etc... but the turbo is a bolt on replacement, get hold of the FMIC kit and a 3" DP and get good power... the boost would need to be conservative to preserve the rods though... K03 hybrids can be spikey... will need a silicone TIP too... the Badger 5 one won't fit...

<tuffty/>

In a rare change of heart, I'm going to go against what the above folks have said!

I'm starting to think a ko4 swap is infact a good idea!

a ko3S is going to see 230bhp, and thats it. no more. plus, it's not a great power delivery, with a huge slug of power than NOTHING at the top end at all.

Ko3s/ko3 hybrid/ko4 are all going to need a full exhaust and FMIC

If you get a ko3 hybrid, you might get 260bhp as Welly said. You'll never get a 3'' TIP on it though, due to how the turbo sits much lower.

Also, ko3 exhaust housing like to crack, LOTS, even at ko3S output levels. I can only imagine that in the long run the hybrid will crack FAR worse. if that does happen, the only replacement option is another expensive hybrid from CR. not fun. you pay £600 for your hybrid, and bolt it to your almost certainly cracked existing manifold, only to risk it cracking badly down the line with no cheap replacement option. all for 260bhp, 30 more than the ko3S.

a ko4 setup though, can be bought in full for £400-450, and all bolts straight on. You'll need the same MAF and injectors as you would for a hybrid, so that cost is not relavent.

Add in a badger 5 3'' TIP, and we KNOW that setup will easily produce 280bhp on a stock S3 engine, with a downpipe, full exhaust, and FMIC, 290 is highly possible (as many people have suggested from airflows with the 3'' TIP) I would think.

the biggest advantage I can see of doing it this way, is that you're keeping with OEM parts, and if a turbo DOES let go, then you're only looking at £2-300 to replace it, with another direct bolt on turbo.

So, from a budget / future outlay point of view, I reckon the ko4 swap is a great idea for an AGU.

Go back 12 months when ko4's didn't see much over 250bhp before Bills TIP's, and perhaps not so, but with the AGU being large port, and Bills TIP re writing the ko4 rule book, I think it's a really great way to go.

Also, you chaps above have all forgotten that S3/LCR/VXR injectors will not fit Vince's car, as it's an AGU, with different injector fitment to AMK/AUM/BAM engines.

best bet for injectors for that are the Genesis 380cc jobbies from USRT, or if you're on a tighter budget, a set of Saab bosch red tops from ebay for £80 will fit, and I believe are around 340cc.

Also, you chaps above have all forgotten that S3/LCR/VXR injectors will not fit Vince's car, as it's an AGU, with different injector fitment to AMK/AUM/BAM engines.

Well yes, but the injector seats are interchangeable, so not the end of the world. Well remembered though! lol