just upgraded

amb276s3

bird spotter
Reaction score
.......from blaupunkt woodstock dab52 to dab54, fitted in van this weekend with bodymount dab antenna, fantastic much improved over dab52 and extra features, no loss of signal this time before i had a glass mount antenna and suffered from the odd signal loss on dab especially in built up areas.
question :- why at about 6.00am everyday when listenning to talksport do i get a 5-10 second silence is it them checking outputs or similar?

Hi Amb276s3,

I've got the Woodstock too and just ordered the external glass mount antenna.

Is this, in your opinion better than the internal antenna.?

Sorry, don't have an answer to your question, not had the pleasure of dab yet. :)

Well it should be better, but I've only got the internal one, how do you fit the external one?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Amb276s3,

I've got the Woodstock too and just ordered the external glass mount antenna.

Is this, in your opinion better than the internal antenna.?

Sorry, don't have an answer to your question, not had the pleasure of dab yet. :)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best reception will be gained with a bodymount external antenna, you can either drill a new hole and fit the dab antenna, or you can swap the existing vw/audi roof mount antenna for a dual purpose FM/DAB type (these are expensive), both methods require a seperate aerial cable running from head unit.
i simply drilled a new hole in the roof of my sprinter as i am not convinced about sharing one aerial for both FM and DAB but thats just my opinion they supposedly work well.
I had a external glass mount before on my old van and suffered from signal loss, this could have been because i had it mounted in the middle top of the screen where the 'sun shady black perforations' are, but i would have thought the fact that there is a piece of glass splitting the contact of the antenna can't help,
I was not aware you could get an internal antenna, i thought dab relied on at least a glass mount external one, are you sure that this is not just a mobile phone antenna?, could work though they all seem to be made the same way.

Hi amb,

Just to confirm, my A4 doesn't have an external antenna. Think it's built into the rear window.

There are a few options that i've found and here's a link to the external glass mount:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/dab_glass.asp

To answer Andymac question, it connects to the rear window like a mobile phone car kit.

I haven't found many good reviews for the internal glass mount and i didn't fancy drilling holes in the car for the external antenna. The external window seemed the best solution for me.

I'll let you know how i get on, should be here tomorrow.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi amb,

Just to confirm, my A4 doesn't have an external antenna. Think it's built into the rear window.

There are a few options that i've found and here's a link to the external glass mount:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/dab_glass.asp

To answer Andymac question, it connects to the rear window like a mobile phone car kit.

I haven't found many good reviews for the internal glass mount and i didn't fancy drilling holes in the car for the external antenna. The external window seemed the best solution for me.

I'll let you know how i get on, should be here tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats your most sensible option, i would no way drill into my A4 either, on a hiroof sprinter it doesn't matter so much and the whole roof acts as a sort of receiver.

I may need to upgrade to the external glass mount as DAB reception seems to have got worse in the last couple of weeks. It was pretty good for a long while, now it's getting annoying. Let me know how well it works

[ QUOTE ]
I may need to upgrade to the external glass mount as DAB reception seems to have got worse in the last couple of weeks. It was pretty good for a long while, now it's getting annoying. Let me know how well it works

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have DAB in the car, but I have noticed a deterioration in signal quality on the DAB tuners in the house. I'm having an external DAB aerial fiited to the chimney next week, that should sort it.

I only have DAB in the van, (don't have any radio/music on in car ever), on my old van i had glass mount antenna and where i work from Hull to spurn point and up to Bridlington bay i would suffer fron occasional signal loss in remote or very built up areas, since having body mount, (hole drilled in roof), antenna on new van signal has been perfect, and believe me out that way,(hull etc), its like driving to the edge of hell i'm surprised they have electricty or even the motor car for that matter.

Fitted my new head unit and dab antenna yesterday.

All works a treat, i went for the external glass mount antenna. It's early days but i picked up radio 1 with no hassles.

Going to Wales this weekend so i'll be giving it a good test then.

I'll post some piccies when i get back.

Have a good weekend all,
Rob.