Just purchased these. Any advice on how to fit them?

jamieswales

Reaction score
Just won these on eBay. They are extremely dirty and look like they need some TLC, but I'm sure with a bit of work they will look great. Only paid £120 for them.

They say they are out of an A5 4 door, but look identical to A4 seats and the rear even has a middle seat belt.

My question is, will the wiring plugs be the same on the front? I don't have lumber support but these do, however I am not fussed about it working, just want the airbags to work.

How do I remove the front seats safely without an airbag deploy?

How do I remove the rear seats?

Any advice appreciated.

Also polished the car yesterday.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and Meemo
Jamie, you stole that interior for £120, it'll clean up well with some TLC I'm sure.
Now if I remember right, when I swapped out my interior in my old SE for S-Line one, I'm sure I just disconnected the battery to install, front seats are easy enough, and to honest so are the rears, you do have to force the seated part though, as it's held down with two large plastic grommets, don't worry if you break them there not expensive in fact I ordered two prior to fitting as I had read somewhere they would probably break.
Just take your time and you'll be fine, as I said, it's easy enough.
Double check re disconnecting battery, don't want to be responsible for it blowing up in your face mate.
Good luck.
JG

Reactions: ruairi83
Thanks JG. I feel like I stole them. I'm hoping they don't have any damage, just need a clean. Searched everywhere and can't find any instructions on connecting/disconnecting airbags or any to remove the back rest of the tears. Managed to remove the bench already. For the price I am extremely happy. Should pick them up this week. Guessing I'll need a van though!

Jamie, I'm second guessing myself re disconnecting battery, it was that long ago, double check before removing, just to be on the safe side.
Yes I think you'll need a van, mines came on a pallet, a large one!
Fingers crossed it is all ok and just needs a clean, but even if you get the front two out of the interior it's still a steal mate. ;)
Remove backs of rear seats; these are fixed with a hinge either side at the bottom , if memory serves me right you unscrew the hinges, then the back separate into two parts ( seat plus middle seat & other single seat) secured by a large pin, I think. :uhm:

Sorry, a bit vague I know but the memory's not what it used to be, :D
JG

Search renapur leather balsam, it's truely a wonder product for leather. Makes dry crusty leather like new, get the leather cleaner too. Nothing comes close to what it can do for leather.

Thanks.ill give audi a ring when I get them to check. Not had any contact from the seller yet, so not collected them. Hopefully he isn't backing out of the deal.

Thanks.ill give audi a ring when I get them to check. Not had any contact from the seller yet, so not collected them. Hopefully he isn't backing out of the deal.

Let us know how you get on Jamie, pics or a mod thread would be good and may help others who are looking for advice, I know, I should have done this and it would have been so much easier for you to change yours. :banghead:
JG

i paid just a little over £400 for mine i also got the door cards and the leather armrest, i actually took my seats out and drove my avant down 40 mile and picked them up and bolted everything when i got home.
front seats have 4x spline bolts and a little hatch in the floor where all the connectors be.
the rear seats i remember you start from fold down the split section and unbolt the hinge ..

Reactions: RS5 JON
That's the way to do it.
You must have looked like the guys out of Gas Monkey Garage, turning up with no interior, hope you weren't sitting on a milk crate, lol. :racer:

JG

Reactions: V6 Quatt and antowens
Thanks

Did you need to do anything regarding disconnecting the seats to stop the airbags going off? Or is it simple unplug then plug in the new ones?

just disconnect battery as safety measure and plug and play....
there are a few plugs yellow is airbag, you will have another for seat belt buck, also..
my old seats didn't have lumbar , but these ones did , i had no plug so left them out and plugged every thing else

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 247
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 212
just disconnect battery as safety measure and plug and play....
there are a few plugs yellow is airbag, you will have another for seat belt buck, also..
my old seats didn't have lumbar , but these ones did , i had no plug so left them out and plugged every thing else

Great thanks. Mine don't have electric lumbar currently and think the new ones do so won't be able to use that. I just hope the previous owner left it in a good position.

Seats have arrived, they looked in pretty bad condition when I got them. The leather has cleaned up well and they actually look like they have hardly any use. No wear on the bolsters so probably out of a pretty new one. Said they were A5 seats but backs fit perfect.

Now the bad point is that a lot of the underneath of them are rusty, they must have been left outside in the wet. All the main parts work, forwards/backwards, up/down and the fronts extend out. These have an extra handle under the front of the seats that the SE does not have. This mechanism is seized solid with rust. Anyone know what it does? Very happy for the price, a bit of TLC and they will be great.

dont quite understand extra handle..
normally one for front back, one for up down, and one little one to extend the front bit front and back..
may be a picture would help..

dont quite understand extra handle..
normally one for front back, one for up down, and one little one to extend the front bit front and back..
may be a picture would help..

http://i.imgur.com/TPMLB.jpg

Not mine but you can see it has two handles at the front under the extendable bit. Ones moves the seats forwards and back, not sure what the other is?

Found the answer in an a5 manual. Says it adjusts the seat cusion.

The front extends out to sit under your legs right down to your knee. Get some WD40 on it and tap it all with a hammer to try and release it.

Those dents you have in the leather can be "massaged" out with a damp cloth and a hair dryer ,and if you want the lumber function to work you can get a simple wiring loom from kufatec.

Seem a very good buy JG very happy for the price.

Thanks for info weighty, I'll look into it for the future. Now to get them fitted!

i paid just a little over £400 for mine i also got the door cards and the leather armrest, i actually took my seats out and drove my avant down 40 mile and picked them up and bolted everything when i got home.
front seats have 4x spline bolts and a little hatch in the floor where all the connectors be.
the rear seats i remember you start from fold down the split section and unbolt the hinge ..
Can't work it the back seats, is it the one with 4 Allen key bolts that are impossible to reach? Does it all come apart once you remove this hinge?

been a while since i fitted them .
i remember i was a little lost and phoned the person who sold them to me..
basically the 3/4 and 1/4 folding parts unscrew at the middle hinge and just pull away from the arches..

Did you get the interior fitted Jamie?
JG

Not yet no, been on a stag do all weekend. My plan is to fit them Monday as I have the day off work. Need to try sort the bits of rust underneath then will get them in.

Got them fitted Monday. Happy with them for the price. Got all mechanisms working. If I could have been bothered would have spent more time getting all the rust off the bottom. Still need to get the creases out of them - a job for another weekend.

I believe they have come from a fire damaged A5 probably just engine fire, the reason for this is that on the rear seat there is what looks like a burn mark that is pretty big, but I have covered it with the baby seat, plus when I first fitted them in they had a smell of a weed factory haha. Smell is slowly going now.

Anyways some pictures:

Need to sort the arm rest - have seen someone making bespoke leather covers on eBay for them so will probably order one.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and RS5 JON
Well for £120 I think you've done brilliantly!
Excellent clean-up job, they do look like wear was at a minimum before whatever happened to them during storage...

Not sure if you ever found out a solid answer for the second lever under the seat but it if i recall correctly (dont adjust mine as its on its lowest) but I think it basically adjusts the bottom part of the seat like up and down at a sort of diagonal angle if that makes sense (so lower and it comes forward, upwards it moves back). Se effectively you can made the seat higher or lower.

They look spot on in the car and sure with a lot of leather food and cleaning the smell will get less :)

Top purchase though, well done!

Yeh I found an a5 manual and then got the adjusters working. Shame I can't move the lumber though as I could do so move it down slightly.

I need to buy some more leather feed though as the mequires leather cleaner seems to just leave marks.

Theres a product called Dr Leather which was very highly rated on a car cleaning forum (yes there is such a thing lol, its all taken very seriously and they do detail some good tricks and products)
I use them on my S-Line seats and keeps them in top condition, plus it kinda adds the new leather smell back into them which is nice to maintain :D

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Looking good Jamie, re leather cleaner, try Angelwax "Heaven" or Autoglym leather balm, both are very good and not that expensive.
JG

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Looking good great bargain nice reasonable upgrade...any other plans??

Reactions: RS5 JON
Next I want some s line skirts and possibly new stearing wheel. Also needs a remap at some point.

Good work mate coming along nicely. I think you got a steal with those seats. Also a testament to the quality of the leather that they've stood up to so much abuse and have cleaned up so well.