1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just purchased a 2003 Audi A3 1.9 TDI Sport. What checks should I do?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by nath-w, Aug 17, 2013.

1. nath-w

nath-w Member

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased a 2003 audi a3 1.9 TDI sport. It has high mileage of 145K, but has had one owner from new and full service history, plus I have been told that majority of the miles are motorway miles. I am still slightly worried about the high mileage and am just wondering what checks I should do to ensure that the engine will still keep running smoothly for many more miles.

Thanks
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Wrong section fella, this is 8V & you've bought an 8P.
  3. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

May even be an 8L on this model year. I could be wrong tho
  4. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Good point, although his sig shows an S3 8L so you'd think he'd know the difference, however please show us pic of car?
  5. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

C'mon nath. Get some pics up lad. I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting rid of my very reliable 1.9 tdi 07 plate on 77k as I may need an avant for some extra room. However my budget of 10k means I need to avoid the dreaded 2.0 tdi BLB engines and means I am looking at high milers on newer models.

The 1.9 engines are bomb proof in my opinion if they have been looked after. I have run a golf up to 100k from new and sold it a mate if mine who still has it. The wife's current a3 as said above has been faultless in the 3 years and 20k we have had it.

I would have thought shocks and bushes would be getting pretty tired on yours by now and I would get them looked at if the handling feels a bit wallowy or creaks a bit.

Get a cam belt on it if you don't know when it was last done and give it an oil and filter change. Other than this I would not worry if they are all motorway miles and it has been serviced regularly.

Very reliable cars in my opinion
  6. nath-w

nath-w Member

My previous car was the S3 in the pic, and I have not owned a car for the previous 3 years due to studying at Uni, so I have forgotten a lot of my knowledge and apologise for posting in wrong section. I have since reposted in the correct section.

I will get some pics up soon :)
  7. nath-w

nath-w Member

8. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Thread needs moving, I'll get this done.