Just ordering new car, opinions?

The S-Line Special Edition gives you:

S line exterior styling
Full-leather front Sports seats
18" 5-arm alloy wheels
Climate control

Xenons are an extra - I got the Bose, SymphonyII and front armrest options.

I would have gone for the Xenons, folding mirrors but I took a deal with one that was available to register in July in return for a fat chunk off the price.

The options are really personal taste, go for the ones you would realistically use/need. According to most dealers, the only ones that really matter on resale are climate and leather which you get for free anyway.

Mike2372 - I'm pleased you stuck to your original choice. Always go with your gut feel...it will almost always be the right choice. Good luck with the car

miked2372 said:
All,

Just in the process of ordering a new A3 sportback to replace my A4 Avant (wife couldn't get on with size of car since small knock in car park!!). We've got the dealer down on the price etc and are looking at the following spec,

2.0T FSI S-Line Special Edition
Misano Red
20 Spoke Alloys
Roof Bars
Bose

Anyone have any opinion on the colour and alloys. When we first visited the dealer to discuss the options they had an s-line in Misano with the 20 spoke wheels and we both thought WOW but having not seen it again for a while I am wondering if we would be better off going with black or something else!!:keule:

Good colour
Alloys are also nice but I'd be happy with the 5 arm wheels myself
Sportbacks do look better with the roof bars. Not keen on them without them.

All IMO

Covenant said:
The S-Line Special Edition gives you:

S line exterior styling
Full-leather front Sports seats
18" 5-arm alloy wheels
Climate control

Xenons are an extra - I got the Bose, SymphonyII and front armrest options.

I would have gone for the Xenons, folding mirrors but I took a deal with one that was available to register in July in return for a fat chunk off the price.

The options are really personal taste, go for the ones you would realistically use/need. According to most dealers, the only ones that really matter on resale are climate and leather which you get for free anyway.

Yes I might go for Xenons, Symphony II, but not bothered with Bose, and need to remember will also be spending £600+ on remap. Like the idea of Misano red having owned a tornado red golf GTI 16v for the best part of a decade! Definitely black averse.

Xenons really are a must have rather than an extra for me. They are fantastic I wouldnt buy another car without them.

The other thing to get is the bluetooth prep. In a couple of years even ford fiestas will come with it as standard and alot of people will be looking for it on second hand cars.

I expect Xenons to be one of those extras that turn into standard equipment,one day.
It'll annoy the hell out of people that have paid extra for them,but it's never stopped Audi (or other car manufacturers,to be fair) before.
I only had my A4 for a few months before the likes of electric back windows became standard equipment,for example (yes,my A4 really did have manual back windows...).

bowfer said:
I expect Xenons to be one of those extras that turn into standard equipment,one day.
It'll annoy the hell out of people that have paid extra for them,but it's never stopped Audi (or other car manufacturers,to be fair) before.
I only had my A4 for a few months before the likes of electric back windows became standard equipment,for example (yes,my A4 really did have manual back windows...).

It'll annoy the hell out of me , coz their fruckin dangerous.

dandle said:
Xenons really are a must have rather than an extra for me. They are fantastic I wouldnt buy another car without them.

The other thing to get is the bluetooth prep. In a couple of years even ford fiestas will come with it as standard and alot of people will be looking for it on second hand cars.

Re the Xenons, I understand that if you are used to them then you do not want to live without them but having never had them before I'm not bothered!!

As for the bluetooth prep, being honest, I think it will be a good few years before people start expecting that in a used car as it takes a while for equipment to be regarded as standard in a new car and then longer for it to be considered the norm and to expect it!!

miked2372 said:
Re the Xenons, I understand that if you are used to them then you do not want to live without them but having never had them before I'm not bothered!!

God,I wish I could give you a shake ! ;-)
Most people agree the standard lights are dreadful.
Not just a bit bad,but truly dreadful.
There has been thread after thread about them.
Certain bulbs do improve matters,as does adjustment of the levels,but only slightly.

I've never had xenons before either,but I ******-well wish I had them now.

Honestly,when there is almost universal agreement that you should go for a certain extra,why ignore it ???
It's not as if they are a subjective thing,like alloys.
If you can afford them,GET THEM !

If you don't,do you promise not to come on here bleating about how bad the standard lights really are ? ;-)
You can't retrofit them (not easily anyway).

I just don't understand why you would choose to ignore everyone recommending them,but it's your choice !

I haven't got them and find my A3 lights absolutely fine. Wouldn't waste the £800 personally.

Maybe you've been doing something to ruin your eyesight Bowfer?:scared2:

I think there is also a difference with people who want to load their cars with every conceivable extra and others that objectively decide what they want.

I cannot see the lights as being THAT bad (current lights are fine and they cannot be much different). And there is also the point that some people find them too bright when they are shone into their faces. I personally see them as one of those extras people get to say they have got them, NOT that they need them. I live in the far east of London and most of the driving will be done during the day. Also, most of the roads round here have sufficient lighting to compliment the headlights (I can only think of one that doesn't!!)

I cannot see the point in wasting around £700 on a set of headlights when I can spend half that on a BOSE upgrade which myself and the wife will enjoy a lot more!! Even if I got rid of the other extras which I am specifying, that would just about come up to the price of the Xenon's and the other options I will personally be happier with!!

Don't worry, I won't be back on here bleating about how rubbish the standard lights are. I'm sure if they were seriously under powered then Audi would have done something about it by now (or am I hoping too much!!:) )

Eeef said:
I haven't got them and find my A3 lights absolutely fine. Wouldn't waste the £800 personally.

Maybe you've been doing something to ruin your eyesight Bowfer?:scared2:

I've got the standard lights too, and they are perfectly OK.

I would recommend getting the parking sensors though. They have saved my rear bumper from 'invisible' concrete bollards in supermarket car parks on many occasions.

mfspen said:
I would recommend getting the parking sensors though. They have saved my rear bumper from 'invisible' concrete bollards in supermarket car parks on many occasions.

I send the missus in her Micra for supermarket hazard training :racer: won't risk my motor and all those trolleys with wonky wheels.

:)

Xenons are one of those things that if you have them once you'll always want them.

You can get some really good after market kits now at around £110-130 delivered which are pretty quick and easy to fit. The bonus of these is that you can take them with you when yo usell your car.

The standard lights of the A3 are not brilliant. Well I didn't think so but I could just be comparing it to my Xenons!

Personally I think £750 for the xenons is money well spent!

J.

marriedblonde said:
You can get some really good after market kits now at around £110-130 delivered which are pretty quick and easy to fit. The bonus of these is that you can take them with you when yo usell your car.

Have you any links to these MB?

Fair enough,if you don't drive on unlit roads much,you probably won't notice the standard lights being akin to a couple of miner's lamps taped to the front.
Unlit roads are more common than lit roads up here,so I regret not getting xenons.
You could apply the same sort of thought to your Bose though.
I regularly flit between my Bose equipped Sportback and my colleague's standard stereo's 2.0fsi.
Up to a volume level of around 10-12 (reasonably loud),I would say the standard set up is possibly better than the Bose.Bass response is certainly better at low volumes.
Above those levels,the Bose takes over.
So if you and/or your wife like your music LOUD,go for Bose.
If not,don't bother.

I'm definately getting Xenons for my next car.

I can see the point that people are saying about if you have never had them before then you are fine with the standard lights but having been in a few cars that have Xenons its made me want them as they are a massive improvement.

I drive on quite alot of unlit roads so to me they are a usefull thing to have.

Whereas parking sensors I dont think are beneficial to me. I've never damaged my car yet and surely you always look to see where your going to park to see if there is anything there you need to be aware of and can judge the length of your car otherwise you shouldn't be on the road... :moa:

Matt said:
I'm definately getting Xenons for my next car.

I can see the point that people are saying about if you have never had them before then you are fine with the standard lights but having been in a few cars that have Xenons its made me want them as they are a massive improvement.

I drive on quite alot of unlit roads so to me they are a usefull thing to have.

Whereas parking sensors I dont think are beneficial to me. I've never damaged my car yet and surely you always look to see where your going to park to see if there is anything there you need to be aware of and can judge the length of your car otherwise you shouldn't be on the road... :moa:

Couldn't agree more - I've also got an Alfa 147 which possibly has the worst visibility out of the back (particularly with 3 rear headrests). In 4-5 years of ownership I've never ever got close to putting a scratch on it when parking. It's all about looking into the space you're reversing into and natural ability.... :anbet:

I'll sell you a cheap parking sensors kit.
It's consists of a cat and a roll of tape.
Tape the cat to the back bumper.
When the cat meows,stop reversing.

LOL Bowfer! I can see you're a cat lover as well as an Eeef baiter...

I have had parking sensors on my last three cars. I was skeptical at first, but have found them to be incredibly useful. There are some situations where you simply cannot see what is behind you (at low level at least), without getting out of the car.

I guess it is like the zenons - you don't think they are worth it until you have them.

Parking sensors would be pointless combined with DSG.
By the time the friggin thing has actually gone into reverse,someone else has nicked the space !

:)

Well, getting the thread back on track, I have to report that I have also put in an order for a new A3 sportback 2.0T s-line special edition 5dr in Misano Red. This is to replace my thrashed S3 '02 plate which will limp its way into an auction house in September only to be purchased by a very unlucky fellow. I wish I could stop the crime honest. I was invited to buy it for £8k but I'm not quite that dumb.

The big question is should I leave the Revo SPS1 in the side pocket, or even leave it set to performance. Or just turn it back to stock? Choices choices. The S3 delivered 270ps and 312 lbs/ft torque in its hey day. Now, well, I even struggled to get it above 145 on the M1 yesterday.

On the bright side I can now look forward to another four years of Audi A3 abuse, working my way through the floor mat, clutch, etc...

It's straight down the chip shop on delivery. Change the 220ps to a respectable 265ps. Whatever.