1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered another new A3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by h5djr, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

You'll forgive me being a little cynical about this comment David,when you've already stated in this thread that DSG is a "must have feature" and have stated in other threads that you wouldn't have a car without it.

If you've made your mind up on that,you're hardly looking at the competition with an open mind.
  2. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Thats not quite true because I have also looked at VWs, Seats and Skodas, all of which can be ordered with the same engines and the DSG as the A3. I generally look at the other makes to be aware of what they have on offer and but so far I not seen anything I prefer to the A3 with or without a DSG and I'm certainly not going to spend my money on something else just for the sake of a change.

I have so far owned 20 cars from 7 different manufacturers and my currentA3 is definitely my favourite.

I'll forgive you for being a little cynical, because you usually are whenever you reply to any post of mine!
  3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

I'm cynical of anyone ordering an A3,as they're simply a very,very,average car,even if you get a faultless example.
    I simply find it incredible that anyone orders one more than once !
    Still,I've go absolutely no doubt that your new one will be as utterly flawless as your present one.
    You have the luck of the devil,apparently.
  4. Wolfsburger

Wolfsburger Member

I agree with you 100% here. My A3 ownership experience was not what I expected it to be, creaking steering, noisy suspension, difficult dealers and a numb driving experience. The trade in value was the final nail in the coffin for my Audi owning days.

At least my Passat was good value for money..........
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

If luck has anything to do with it then I must be incedibly lucky. So far I 've had 4 A3s and they have all be very reliable. My 4 other Audis and 5 VWs were all equally reliable with only very minor faults easily fixed by quick visit to the dealer. The only times I've been without one of these cars is for the day when they were in for service or in connection with an accident.

With this sort of record and the fact that I like the design of both the interiors and exteriors can you wonder why Audi are my first choice for a car. There are one or two minor points that I would change with my current A3, but Audi have beaten me to it and updated or upgraded the A3 accordingly.

This morning I called in at the BMW dealers just down the road from my normal Audi dealer. I spoke to the first BMW salesman who has been a pleasant person to talk to and who really knew his cars. A strange thing at any dealers these days, including some of the other Audi dealers I've been in.

One interesting point about the DSG, he said he has lost sales on the 1 series to the A3 because drivers prefer the DSG to the BMW version. I drove a 120d and a 320d and both were automatic. The BMW version also changes up automatically at maximum revs and down when the revs are too low in the same way as the DSG. The salesman used to work for a Porsche dealer and he said the tip-tronic on the Porsche 911 behaves in exactly the same way.

Both cars were pleasant enough in their own way and definetly quieter than the A3 but overall the A3 is, to me, the better car. I much prefer the interior of the A3 and the standard of design of all the interior components.

I know there are many people who will prefer the BMW to the Audi. I have no problem with that. It's a good job we don't all like the same things or life would be very dull. Personally I prefer the A3 to either of the BMWs and with the record of my previous cars I can see no reason to take a risk with my own money and go for something I may or may not like when I know for sure I will like a new A3.