Just opened pandora's box!

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Stripped down the front-end of the car yesterday, to reveal what was a disaster waiting to happen. From the looks of things the Belt have never been changed! Both the water pump & ribbed belt were absolutely fecked, and the cam-belt has loads of hair line cracks in it, and It's still got the old style tensioner. The bibbed belt tensioner was also on it's last legs. Still it's only money......:crying:

well unless you are stripping down because it has failed then I would count yoursefl lucky!!
belt kit and pump are a hell of lot cheaper than a new engine

Least it'll save you in the long run mate, imagine you hadnt looked into it, the belts or tensioner would let go soon meaning the price of an engine aswell!!!

Had to strip my dads car this week, needed water pump, alternator, temp sensor switch, tensioner and the wee valve thing on the airbox. Lot of work but was good to work on and now the cars running like a dream, worth it in the long run really.

It's the 1.8T, I'm just stunned it was never done & how long it's lasted. I'm going the hole hog, all belts, water pump and rad as it's a little rusty and has a few dents.

Just about got it stripped down, and I'll get the parts tonight. If the weather hold off I should have it done by tomorrow.

IMG_0052.jpg

Wooow! Thats fu**ed! I feel for you and will pray to the car gods(Veyroniss) to you tonight........

Looks like a new style tensioner to me?

It's the orignal factory tensioner, if your tensioner looks like the one below then best get it changed. (Sorry about the crap idog pic)

IMG_0051.jpg

I'll post a picture of the new tensioner setup when I get home this evening.

Last edited:
My mistake, sorry mate.

Mine has the new style one too (doesn't look like that). It was replaced with the belt 20k ago just before I bought the car. Feckers didn't do the water pump though which died a few weeks ago. Grrr!

Here is a picture of the new tensioner setup, I've just got to the point of removing the belt so I'm going to wait until the morning.

I wish to feck that Audi would have put some locking points for the engine, The B7 2.0TDi was easy in comparison, as you were able to lock the engine down...

IMG_0054.jpg

Can someone confirm that the oil pump pulley does not need to be aligned, I've checked and I cannot find any reference to aligning that pulley, but just want to be 100% sure.