Just how much quicker are S4's?

noggydansar

Reaction score
On my way back from an afternoon out, just coming back through Chippenham in Wilts, and noticed a guy behing me in a silver S4 (not a new V8 one). He followed me a long for a while through the traffic, then heading up towards Malmesbury the dual carriageway opened up and there was no one in front, I thought i'd go for it and see if he was interested.... (if it was you and you post on here please let me know!!!)

Seems he was, came past me but not as quickly as i'd have thought and I then stuck with him as best as I could. Couldnt say he really left me but I dont know how hard he was trying. Last time I looked at the speedo it was round on the right somewhere...

Now I have a 210 S3 that isnt modified and as I said above he may not have been trying, but if he was and that was me i'd be a little disappointed that my extra 55bhp didnt leave this little s3 further behind.

Have any of you guys had any other similar experiences?

Apologies if this has been covered before i'm new!

My mate has a B5 S4, and it is a lot quicker than my S3!
the extra torque just makes so much difference.
Mine's standard though, does anyone have any idea what the difference is between their modded S3, and an S4?
(Rich, you're car is exluded! just not fair on the rest of us! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif)

??

I think they are way quicker and feel much quicker to drive. Your S3 isn't exactly a slouch so i think your overestimating the S4 if you think its gonna leave you standing. Surfice to say they are quicker!

You need a good 100BHP + to leave things significantly quickly!

My S3 (originally 210BHP AMK) has only had a Oettinger remap and Remus exhaust and is quicker than the turbo S4's I have come across. It's also quicker than a modified (300bhp they said) A3 3.2 that Listers gave me for the day.

A mate of mine had a B5 S4, and though we never actually raced, we did ride back to back in his standard S4 and my modified S3 (APR, Milltek and freeflow cat). We both reckoned there was nothing in it between the two cars.

Dan

Guys,

I was looking at the issue of power to weight between a few of the audi cars to see what modifications mine would potentially be equiverlant of. Here are some of the rough results based on the cars weights and power outputs that would interest you in your discussion:-

S3 - 210 bhp @ 1.42 Tonne = 210/1.42 = 147.88 bhp/t
Moded S3 - 265 bhp @ 1.42 Tonne = 265/1.42 = 186.62 bhp/t
B5 S4 - 265 bhp @ 1.65 Tonne = 265/1.65 = 160.6 bhp/t

Therefore just on power to weight ratio (excluding torque & transmittion etc) I would guess that a chipped/moded S3 would be quicker than a standard B5 S4. I reckon my car @ 1.45 Tonne would need 232.87 bhp to be a reasonable match to a S4 (excluding torque & transmittion etc). For my car:-

B5 S4 - 265 bhp @ 1.65 Tonne = 265/1.65 = 160.6 bhp/t
Therefore 160.6(S4 bhp/t) x 1.45 (my cars weight) = 232.87 bhp

Looking at those figures, with a K04 at 1.3 bar and my other mods hopefully will be kicking out 250 ish bhp @ flywheel and potentially be quicker than a S4. Any thoughts on this 'rough and dirty' way of looking on how the moded cars will compare with other audi models would be appreciated.

I haven't been on the forum very long but it seems like a lot of people only look at the highest bhp at one given rpm and compare it to the weight.
I am not sure at all if it is correct but a lot of things have to be taken into account and mainly the curve of the torque (bhp is directly proportional to torque x rpm?).
From my little experience, I would rather have a car with flat torque curve from 2000 to 7500rpm at say 300Nm than a car with a higher maximum torque of 340Nm but being over the 300Nm only from 3500rpm to 5500rpm. Both car weighing the same of course
The flat curve car would have something like 240bhp at maximum rpm whereas the other one would have maybe 260bhp at 5500rpm. So when you do the math the second car would be better in terms of bhp/weight but I don think it would be quicker
that's only my 2p

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
I haven't been on the forum very long but it seems like a lot of people only look at the highest bhp at one given rpm and compare it to the weight.
I am not sure at all if it is correct but a lot of things have to be taken into account and mainly the curve of the torque (bhp is directly proportional to torque x rpm?).
From my little experience, I would rather have a car with flat torque curve from 2000 to 7500rpm at say 300Nm than a car with a higher maximum torque of 340Nm but being over the 300Nm only from 3500rpm to 5500rpm. Both car weighing the same of course
The flat curve car would have something like 240bhp at maximum rpm whereas the other one would have maybe 260bhp at 5500rpm. So when you do the math the second car would be better in terms of bhp/weight but I don think it would be quicker
that's only my 2p

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a 650Nm B5 S4 with 470bhp??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
that's only my 2p

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a 650Nm B5 S4 with 470bhp??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

[/ QUOTE ]
Planning to take your car to the UK soon??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif