1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just hit a curb...

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Tripp, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Tripp

Tripp Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Ive not had a great month with my A3. I rear ened (low speed) a merc 3 weeks ago resulting in damage to bumber bonnet and headlights. car has been out of the garage for less than a week when I hit a curb...

on a windy road I had to swerve some muppet taking the corner too wide. I avoid them only to slide into a curb with quite a wallop(approx 30mph). the passenger side tyre took the full blow and it was instantly obvious damage had been done. so I limped back home to assess.

the steering wheel is 1qtr turn to the left whilst the front wheels are facing forward (neither are aligned though) there is a grating squeeking sound when I turn the wheel too far right. There is no real power in the wheels (not that i wanted to test it too much) esp is freaking out and the front ended bottomed out going over a bump to my drive which it has never done before...It just feels like im turning on ice - no real feel to it.

Its too dark to properly look at the damage (not that im fully sure what to look for but here are some pics)

nearside:
    [​IMG]

Drivers side
    [​IMG]

hard to tell by the images but the drivers side is higher and off centre compared to the nearside

nearside wheel:
    [​IMG]

Drivers side wheel:
    [​IMG]

the nearside wheel now sits further back than the drivers side by about 1-2 inches and has some play in it when I wobble it.

Needless to say im gutted / furious.

im debating on whether to just get the insurance on this (for the 2nd time in a month...) and pay 200 excess or get it done at my local.

any ideas on whats likely to be damaged...

thanks

edit - oops posted this in wrong thread should be in 8l forum
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Gutted mate, Kerbed mine the other day just damage to the tyre and alloy and that was a hefty chunk in the wallet 50 quid to refurb the alloy and a part worn for 50 quid feeling your pain :-(
  4. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Nov 11, 2012]
    PM a mod to get it shifted into the 8L section.

Also, gutted for you - wheel/s, suspension and likely steering damage by the sounds of it. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix for you.
  5. murran

murran Active Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    probably bent the wishbone and or the steering arm. should be obvious whats bent tbh.
  6. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Nov 11, 2012]
    :( did that once in a Mondeo, bent a Koni FSD shock (which only come in pairs) and hub carrier! If that's the case you're looking at a few hundred in new parts + labour.