1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just had 1.8T Sport chipped... few issues?

brixo Feb 9, 2004

1. brixo

brixo Member

Hmm... Just had my 98R Audi A4 1.8T Sport for 4 days, then straight into van Aaken Developments for a chip. After 2 hours of waiting, jumped in the car and it makes a MASSIVE MASSIVE difference. A few questions who have had the ECU remapped...

(1) is it usual to actually hear the turbo whistling now?
    (2) seems a little lumpy when accelerating hard... usual?
    (3) when accelerating hard, letting off slightly, then accelerating hard (i.e. overtaking on motorway), there is a little delay with a little lump before it takes off - usual?
    (4) My mpg has dropped from about 29mpg to 20! I *HOPE* this is not normal - or I must drive a little more conservatively...

Any answers would be appreciated!

2. brixo

brixo Member

Gents - thank you so much for the replies... I am now a little more confident with my tweak!

Last night on the way home from work, I made a conscious effort to drive like I normally would, and not a boyo that has just had his car chipped... giving me a nice 30.9mpg average. Much happier.

Next is a new DV from a 2000 model, I think, prolly buy straight from Audi as they are only meant to be approx £25.

I have built up a page on my website that people can go and see to show them what is the procedure for getting your car ECU remapped, and a little explaination as to what ECU rechipping is...

http://www.neilbriscoe.ath.cx/galleries/audi/index.shtml

hope this helps...

and thanks for all your help on here...

3. bahnstormer

bahnstormer Croozin

Visited your site. Very interesting reading and great photos.

Wish I could get 50bhp more out of my V6 for under 500 notes!!! lol

Have fun with your new monster and your right foot made of lead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Happy driving!

4. brixo

brixo Member

Do it, do it, do it!

Well worth it. The only concern I now have is the fuel economy, well, not so much the economy, the cost of fuel. Super Unleaded is 89.5p per litre (£4.06 per imperial gallon), which is approx $2.40US... In other words costing me £50 to fill up, and that's twice a week!

The performance difference is unbelievable. Only thing is to resist the temptation to hold the car at peak revs all day long...!

do it!

5. Kasper

Kasper New Member

My 1.8t is chipped. I drive it very gently but still only get's around 22-23 mpg! Some of ou can actually pull over 30 mpg? That's even better than a lot of the japanese cars! Is it mainly highway driving?

6. brixo

brixo Member

Mine is 50/50. But on the motorway, I do cruise at about 90-100mph. Around town the thing is all over the place, getting about 22mpg.

I have used a full tank since chipping it on monday and I have only managed to get 270 miles out of the tank! Yikes!

Maybe a chipped 2.5 V6 TDi is more to my liking!!