JUST FITTED AUDI A3 1.8T TEMP SENDER

audia3turrbo

Reaction score
Hi all as I have been asking for help all week to find out what my problem is for my temp going up and down I finally brought a temp sender which I just fitted about a hour ago.

Just fitted it but still no change,people on here saying it takes about 15 mins to change but it only took me about 5 mins and I dont no alot about cars and in that time I popped the bonnet got a flat head screwdriver took the old one out and put the new one in,I hope I did fit it rite.

Also to make sure I fitted the temp sender in the rite place I pulled the plug off started the car and the temp gauge in the car was showing nothing but when I plugged it back in it was saying about 75

The temp sender I took out was a blue color and the one I fitted was a dark green it was the square one and not the circle one is this ok ???

Just to say i was driving around for about an hour but the temp was 90 then went to 70 back up again,this cant be rite.

If any body can say if I fitted it wrong or would no what the problem is let me no I have a feeling its gonna be the thermostat but there is ment to be two types what one will be mine it will be for a agu engine 1998?

Thanks people

Sounds like the thermostat to me... don't know about 2 different types though but the motor factor you buy the part from will know once you have given them the engine code (AGU in this case)

<tuffty/>

Hi mate gave them the engine code and they said there is two types coming up on the screen,they said the only way i can find out is take the old one in to the garrage or buy them both and take back the one i dont use which is fair so thermostat getting done on thursday for £30 inclufing the part,so £25 to fit is that a good deal thanks

I think it may be the thermo, good thing you upgraded to the green sender.

Go to Audi, GSF or euro for a thermo, all the same I think.

I have the same issue,

Just to hijack your thread, why does my temp go down to 60 when I switch on the fan/heating?

Iv changed temp sender

Hi every one is saying upgrade to the green sender,to be fair its not a genuine audi part its just a copy but was told would no take alot of differnce,and what makes the green one so much better ?

Also why has the man in the shop told me there is to differnt types

He said this is one with a pin in it and one not,do not no what he is talking about though thanks...

coz the nerest dealer from me is 50 mins plus they both do the same job.

They do the same job until the non genuine one throws a wobbler and you have to change it again.

Quality of pattern parts is always dubious so I'll always go for genuine if I can get them but thats just me. Some prefer pattern for the money savings..the only issue is they tend to have a shorter life. Swings and round abouts really.

i used non genuine part, cost £7 therefore i would have to change it 3 times before im losing money, if they lasted a year then thats happy days

most things i go to audi for as im a believer of using gen parts (water pump, cambelt pullety etc), but when its silly little things like this then il take the chance

also mate £30 is very good to have a stat fitted, i would still do it myself but you are far from being ripped off there

did you do any diagnosis before just changing the sensor?!!

make sure you have the put the right part in and then get the stat done and be done with it.

this should teach people to actually diagnose problems before just doing what people on a forum tell them to do

100% from audi. i did a stat on an AGU in the past. a stat from GSF was bought (£7) and within a fortnight it was dickie and had to be changed again. the audi part was only £9

Don't forget the O-ring when you buy it as the old one needs to be binned.

will buy at audi,is the temp sender worth keeping in there or shall i stick the old blue one back is as it still works cheers

100% from audi. i did a stat on an AGU in the past. a stat from GSF was bought (£7) and within a fortnight it was dickie and had to be changed again. the audi part was only £9

hmmmm i went pattern part on the stat too, been ok so far (touches wood) i kinda banked on the gen audi stat being a considerable amount more than pattern, now i know otherwise lol

changing the stat twice in 2 weeks? no thank you :noway:

only takes 15 minutes, so not really a chore.

id imagine an a3 owner would spontaneously combust if they knew what was involved with an S4 stat change

...id imagine an a3 owner would spontaneously combust if they knew what was involved with an S4 stat change

Not really...

IMG_2251.jpg

..oh and just for fun, a heater matrix :)
20080122_IMG_2645.jpg

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Not really...

IMG_2251.jpg

..oh and just for fun, a heater matrix :)
20080122_IMG_2645.jpg

<tuffty/>

don't know what you are both moaning about, could have that done in an hour ;) :) (let the abuse commence lol)

thats totally unreal, could they not put the stat in a more accessible area? audi done this on purpose to get more book time or just an oversight in the design process?

i wouldnt have the balls to strip my interior to that extent, whenever i do it never goes back the same and looks cack :(

tufty, your images are blocked... what does teh first image show?

as for jonny, if you were local id do it whilst you made a coffee. i couldnt even ask you to wash my car whilst i did it, the stat would be finished before you were even washing the bubbles off!

Matt, i assume you mean you could do it in 15 mins if someone has removed the alternator and inlet manifold for access already.

manifold and alt stayed in place.

one 8mm bolt to move the live on the alt. two bolts for the stat housing et voila

15 mins should include a fag break. bring it on!

What engine Matt?

maybe thats the difference? It takes me longer to sort the tools out than that,lol

I cannot imagine the 1.8TQS i did or the S3 can be done in 15 Mins

manifold and alt stayed in place.

one 8mm bolt to move the live on the alt. two bolts for the stat housing et voila

15 mins should include a fag break. bring it on!

Fancy changing mine for me? ;) Beer involved

What engine Matt?

maybe thats the difference? It takes me longer to sort the tools out than that,lol

I cannot imagine the 1.8TQS i did or the S3 can be done in 15 Mins
agu (thats the one that was done twice), an aum and auq. not spent that much time under the bonnet of the torsen 8L cars though. i know on the 225 lumps the inlet manifold enters from the near side, but i cant see that making much difference.

you in essex finesse? come round with a box of beer and youre on

agu (thats the one that was done twice), an aum and auq. not spent that much time under the bonnet of the torsen 8L cars though. i know on the 225 lumps the inlet manifold enters from the near side, but i cant see that making much difference.

you in essex finesse? come round with a box of beer and youre on

A13 is round the corner from me, after Easter if you are not busy ?
You sound like a man who drinks Stella...!?

Video it (with a timestamp) and bung it on youtube.... lol

Changing includes draining and topping up fluids of course ;P

<tuffty/>

Hi had the thermostat changed today,

Am glad to say all fixed now,Feels alot hotter and pulls better

Thanks guys for all the help £35 supply and fitted with genuine audi part....

Hi had the thermostat changed today,

Am glad to say all fixed now,Feels alot hotter and pulls better

Thanks guys for all the help £35 supply and fitted with genuine audi part....

excellent! Does the temp drop when on motorways or when fan/heating is on?

It useed to but all sorted now,have u got a problem then if so change the thermostat dose not cost much,it feels like it runs better and also alot more heat in the car