1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just drowned the V6 Tdi

Tom_B Aug 7, 2012

1. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

Torrential rain in Bilsdale north yorks. Got caught out in water that was much deeper than it looked.I fear she is dead. Don't think I will make it to Aitp now.

2. murran

murran Well-Known Member

what revs was the engine doing when it ingested the water? if it was sub 1500 you might be lucky!!

pull the airfilter out. is it wet?
    if so take the glowplugs out and spin the engine over on the starter.
    if the glow plug holes jet water out then oh dear!!!
    can you hear any knocking when cranking?
    if not..... refit the glow plugs and see if it'll start.....
    if it does start but misses constantly then youve got a bent conrod.

get a compression test done. if it shows one or two cylinders down then you need another engine.
    rebuilding these isnt really worth it compared to good s/h units.

3. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

Thanks for your encouragement - when I turn the engine over it doesnt make an engine turrning over noise - kind of more like a box of spanners noise. The footwells had six inches of water in them. Perhaps Scott would like a reasonably priced five speed auto box that still shifts nicely. At least I hadn't changed the oil as planned last week end ..... must drain the fuel out tho..

4. murran

murran Well-Known Member

it turns over as it is on the starter? means its lumped over on the cylinders with water in them bending conrods. insted of it hydralocking and stopping the engine without hurting it too much.
    sounds like its a "miss out my first 6 points of how to start a drowned engine".............. and move straight to ringing your insurance company. its written off.

i remember changing the engine on a 4 year old v8 merc. sl500 coupe that got downed in the sheffield floods of 2007.
    it wouldnt even turn over by hand with all the spark plugs out, took the heads and sump off first.... one conrod was so bent you could see it was wedged on the bottom of one of the bores.

5. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

I am just trying to balance up what I imagine the insurance company will pay out on a 2000 A4 with 144k miles on it when they have taken off the excess and I take a hit on the no claims bonus. I am wondering if it woudl be better not to claim and to break the A4. What do you think the residual value of the car might be if I broke it? shes a totally standard but quite smart saloon in silver with double din radio and tiptronic 5 speed box that still changes smoothly? worth the hassle of breaking or just take the probably quite small payout? What do you think? or dry her out and buy Mattupnorths V6 Tdi that you rebuilt and transplant the lump?

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I wouldnt have thaught the insurance company would pay out for engine damage anyway?

I'd never claim off the insurance if it can be avoided. You end up paying more for your policy for the next 5 years, and as you say the car isnt worth enough for it to be worth it. If it were 20k's worth of brand new motor then sure, but as far as an insurer is concerned its probably worth about a grand, minus your excess etc. It only takes a £100 increase in your premium for the next 5 years and you've wiped out any gain from actually claiming.

If you've got the time/space, then break it for parts. Lots of the facelift bits are fairly sought after, and you'll probably make back at least what the insurance company would have paid you anyway.

7. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

I could sell you a good engine off a b5 audi a4 v6 tdi auto with 140k on the clock for £500 or i could fit it for you for £750. Nothing wrong with the engine just the car been scrapped on the lh side by my missus and it's not worth spending 4-600 to repair !

8. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

why didn't you stop when it got too deep?

9. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

Misjudgement - I had sucessfully negotiated the road for several miles just driving slowly and choosing a careful line - very heavy rain poor visibility (I should have just stopped at the pub in Chop gate and waited for an hour) the water was building up fast and this particular 'puddle' was up to the sills. I must have gone in quicker than I thought to create a bow wave high enough for the intake to suck in some water. I guess after that series of excuses the real answer is ' too stupid'

10. murran

murran Well-Known Member

id go with adamss24 engine tbh.

then fit a snorkel??

you say its all wet thru inside? did you disconnect the battery? and puled out the central electrics and auto box ecus out from under the carpet?