1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just buying a S3, some advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by dickys3, Oct 27, 2003.

1. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 27, 2003]
    Hi all,

I have just put a deposit down on a Ming Blue Audi S3. Its a 2000 model (Facelift model) on an X, with 20K on the clock. It has full Audi Service history and a some optional extras like Bose, CD Autochanger, Acoustic Parking sensors, Heated front seats, Black Leather. When I test drove the car, i could here the turbo whoosh when accelerating. Is this normal? when i took my foot off the accelerator, there wasn't any noise which sounds like the DV problem. Am I just being a bit paranoid or can you here the whistle when booting it?

Also is there anything else I shoud look at before I pay the final money? Or are the engines very sound?

Thanks in advance, Rich.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 21, 2014]

3. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[Oct 27, 2003]
    If you're buying from an Audi dealer then you should get a 1 year warranty which is pretty good, but you could always get someone like the RAC/AA to come out and give the car the once-over?

How loud would you say the turbo noise was? I can hear mine, but it's not at all intrusive...
  4. dickys3

[Oct 27, 2003]
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I'm buying the car privately, and I would say that it isn't that loud, but you can definatley hear it.. Mind you, I was listening for any noises!

The car went well, performance as it should be.

Perhaps its me being paranoid. Anything to look out for when buying one with this sort of mileage. Its quite low so it should be ok right?

Cheers
    Rich.
  5. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Oct 27, 2003]
    You can hear the turbo whistle on mine and it's fine, quite cool in my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If there is a DV problem, you are more likely to hear the DV "chatter" when you lift off acceleration, and have really flakey pickup after a gear change.
  6. dickys3

[Oct 27, 2003]
    Thanks for the help, by the sounds of things it seems fine.

Cheers
    Rich.
  7. MarkS3

MarkS3 Member

[Oct 27, 2003]
    Is the DV ment to be silent? and what do you mean "flakey pickup"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  8. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Oct 27, 2003]
    My understanding is that the DV is silent (should not make a chattery noise when you depress the clutch), however you will hear the turbo whistling.

By flakey pickup, I mean that after you change gear there is too much lag before the engine picks up and takes the load again. There will be some lag, especially with standard DV's, but it shouldn't be really bad.

It's difficult to explain !!!!! I've had 3 DV's fail and each time I have heard it, and noticed that the car is not accelerating smoothly straight after a gear change.