Just bought my A4- temp gauge seems faulty...

sat1983

Reaction score
Is it the sensor or thermostat? Temperature doesn't go past 70, might go up a bit but doesn't reach 90c... Either way I have no idea and wondered if anyone would give me a hand fitting a new thermostat? I'm in Leeds!

Needs the thermostat replaced, would happily lend a hand if Leeds wasn't a million miles from me haha. Best going OEM too, lot's of people also replace the sensor (but I didn't personally).

Might be the sensor.Does the heater work?

How many times do we hear of this on the B6!! Change the thermostat and the sensor, both OEM parts. Job done

The sensor is a lot easier than a stat.If the heater works as it should then the stat is OK

The heater is spot on! How much is the sensor and thermostat from Audi?

Any reason why it would have to be fixed then? Not that I wouldn't- every single thing that is wrong with any of my cars gets fixed immediately but if my heater works and you say MPG is unaffected- what's the point?
I'm sure the MPG should be higher though, but I've only had the car 2 days... It shows an indicated 45mpg on a 10mns cruise on the motorway. Saying that I've not tried driving it for longer, maybe it would climb up much more...

My mpg was down before i replaced the thermostat. I would assume that as the engine is cold the ecu over fuels to compensate.

If the heater is fine and it doesn't overheat then the stat is opening and closing so I would change the sensor and see if that helps.Even my 2.5tdi auto gets up to 40 as soon as it goes m/way cruising