1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought an Audi A3 TDI 170 Quattro Sportback SE

Discussion in 'The Welcome Section' started by chris8403, Nov 11, 2013.

1. chris8403

chris8403 New Member

[Nov 11, 2013]
    Hi all,

Registered the other day as I have just bought a 2009 A3 TDI 170 Quattro SE. Was initially looking for a MkV Golf GT Sport TDI 170 (as I had a 2008 one as a company car a few years back and loved it!).

Had a few gripes with the Audi at first, steering felt dead - went round corners like nobody's business but gave little feedback. When I compare this to the Golf, I feel that the Golf was a much better driver's car, however:

This is a shared car as me and the missus work close to each other in Sheffield. We test drove a few & the suspension on the Sport and S Lines that we tested were too harsh according to her. TBH, I would probably have forced the point if I felt that they were that much more involving to drive - but in reality that wasn't what I was experiencing from them.

So this has started of as an apparently negative sounding post - it really isn't though...

...There was just something about the Audi and particularly the ride of the SE, combined with the overall quality feel of the vehicle that won me over. I am not getting any younger and I also have a 1995 MR2 Turbo which provides for all of my current speed and insanity requirements - this car just felt very right, a bit of poke (although it 'feels' markedly slower than the Golf did with its PD engine and FWD) and a generally relaxed and enjoyable ride to an from work/across the country via motorways.

I have had the Golf above, a 2010 320d and an 11 plate C class Merc recently (all new company cars) and out of the lot of them the 60K miles Audi has felt the best screwed together, had the nicest interior and so far has proven incredibly simple to retrofit the toys that I was tool stingy to pay for in the first place! :)

Right, that is hellos done with, I am off to technical!

Chris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. chris8403

chris8403 New Member

[Nov 11, 2013]
    Also...

…Many thanks to @udi A3 who was really helpful yesterday. I PM'd him out of the blue as I found him on the VCDS map.

Hugely helpful, I didn't need to go and see him in the end for help rejigging for the RNS-E that I installed. Currently it seems that I don't need to as everything seems to just work plug and play. Maybe time will show that not to be the case but I am pretty sure that it is behaving as it should, DIS, Steering wheel controls, the lot!

So thanks again @udi A3!
    Sandra likes this.
  4. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 11, 2013]
    Hi Chris, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read over in the A3 8P section. Lots of info in the faqs thread. Any pics? Where you located? Enjoy the forum. :) x
  5. chris8403

chris8403 New Member

[Nov 11, 2013]
    No pics yet, I go to work in the dark, come home in the dark and have zero free time right now. Pics will come when I have time to give it a good clean! ;)

Just updated my profile, I'm in Chesterfield Derbyshire.
  6. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 11, 2013]