Just been towed home...

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
Was on boost driving hard and then what felt like hitting a brick wall, nearly got fkn whiplash...
dipped the clutch and it was ticking over ok then tried to rev it, and it just spluttered and backfired and popped..
Managed to pull over safely, checked my liquid guage for faults ....Nothing...
Turned it off and opened up the bonnet to see if a pipe had blown off....everything ok..
went to restart it and it was trying but just would not have it, left it 10 mins to cool down and still it would not start, i have the new tfsi coils so cannot see it being that, the only other thing changed recently was the inline fuel pump, but i can hear it buzzing still when trying to start.
Anyway i got towed home and left it for now as im having a few beers before the footy...
Any ideas?

This car has been faultless until i messed about with ****** turbos/heads etc....:(

Sad times mate. What pipe had blown off?

Can't think of anything or even recall hearing anyone else have a similar problem, but then again no one is using parts that are as old as yours... Checked for dinosaur fossils in the fuel pump and head?

Hope it isn't anything major though Dave, and one bonus is that you can at least scan it, and you have the weekend to try and find the problem.. Until then, get ****** and think about how it would have been much worse if you'd have broken down near the stadium where France v Ukraine is...

It was nearly has bad as the weather there ...fkn ****** it down
Dani no pipe was off
i have checked for fault codes and there are none..Karl/ Reesy

Anyhoo France match is starting at 6 now i think...

Bad news mate, like I said on the txt hope it's nothing major and an cheap/easy fix. We'll be gutted if the captain don't make it to inters.. Nets will go uncasted & Rods will be snapped !! ;)

Bad news,shouldn't of tried to restart it though Dave schoolboy error

Sounds a bit like a pipe blown off still :S Could you check all the ones behind the bumper and everything too? Perhaps splits in them like mine did? Took me a few minutes of looking to see the split.

Other than that, an evil abrupt stop, then refusing start, sounds horribly like something mechanical :S

I would take plugs out and turn it over by hand... If all seams well. unplug the maf and try to fire it up.
Mine sounded that rough when it blew a cooler pipe off behind the bumper...

Sorry to hear the bad news Dave, I'm guessing your head will be a bit sore to look at it this morning, just hope it's not something that's seized, when you cranked it did it try to turn over or was it just dead.

Chris.

i would have said a pipe related issue by the sounds of it dave (split, loose or off) but i am a derv head so know nothing!!!! hope you get it sorted mate! and hope its something daft! all the best dude!:doctor:

Update...
The Cause...... No fkn fuel!!

Gauge reading just over a quarter of tank though, so not to blame...:whistle2:
Never had a problem with it before, so just put £50 of shells finest and now its showing full hmmm... I put a replacement fuel pump in it around 3 months ago, i have noticed there is an arrow on the fuel pump casing, i assume an indicator of where it should sit, but cannot see a mark on the tank to marry it up with..anybody got any ideas?

Update...
The Cause...... No fkn fuel!!

Gauge reading just over a quarter of tank though, so not to blame...:whistle2:
Never had a problem with it before, so just put £50 of shells finest and now its showing full hmmm... I put a replacement fuel pump in it around 3 months ago, i have noticed there is an arrow on the fuel pump casing, i assume an indicator of where it should sit, but cannot see a mark on the tank to marry it up with..anybody got any ideas?

Nice one dave.
At least it was something simple.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I bet youve out it in twists the the float is sat on the division between the two sides of the tank or something simple like that.

You do make me laugh sometimes Dave, in a good way!

I was waiting for a 'dropped a valve' post, yet you just ran out of fuel :)

Ahahahahaha Dave you silly old ****er!!! I'm sure the gauge is fine and it's your mince pies that don't work.

Glad that's all it was Dave, and we'll se you at inters if you remember to put enough fuel in to get there

LOL oh boy now thats hillarious was actually bummed out to hear what happened, its good its nothing major!

Great news! Now don't forget to bring my heatshield to Inters! If you can forget to refuel your car I'm sure you'll forget to put it in.

Haha come on it was showing a quarter tank, .... i wont forget mate, its going to be like fkn swapshop down there...:laugh:

Lol swap my tie arms for yours :detective2: And I must remember to put mi intercooer in the boot lol.

Lol dave! I was getting worried until I seem that post! PMSL

Haha, at least it was something simple!

Always brim your fuel tank, and reset the trip meter!

That way it would have obvious as you'll know how many miles you get to a full tank, and how many you've done since filling up.

do you think there's a link between the fuel being a lot lower than you thought and the noisy pump post you made?
is it better now or still howling?

Its still noisy bill, i have a new da31 to go on now.. i think it is just a coincidence, i dont think ive been lower than a quarter tank before so it could have been like that ever since i changed the tank pump, i may need to get some more connectors off you if i cannot get my welded one off cleanly