Just Been To AMD.....

JamS3

Reaction score
Just got back from AMD to get my second S3 re-mapped!

When it went in it was 221.4bhp and 215.7lbs/ft and when it came out re-mapped it transformed into 269bhp and 262.4lbs/ft!!!

I'm well pleased with it, it pulls right to the red line. On my first S3 I had the APR set up and while it boosted much more aggressively in the lower gears it ran out of puff around 4.5 - 5 k rpm. This one is more smoother (not as aggressive) and I would say makes the car more driveable as the power is available all the way to the red line.

Got myself some Eibach springs as well so need to get round to getting them fitted soon!!

Mine is the 225bhp version or was......just out of curiosity the torque figure seems low compared to some? Is this because AMD are using less aggressive maps now or have they got their rollers re-callibrated as some peoples figures were way out for a simple re-map??

Ess??

[ QUOTE ]
Mine is the 225bhp version or was......just out of curiosity the torque figure seems low compared to some? Is this because AMD are using less aggressive maps now or have they got their rollers re-callibrated as some peoples figures were way out for a simple re-map??

Ess??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure...
The torque seems about right for a simple re-map.

It could be that AmD aren't spiking the boost to gain headline figures - and if so, good for them! - and this is quite possibly the case if you say it's very linear in it's torque delivery.

The power seems high though...do you have an 'at the wheels' value?
I know AmD use a slightly different method of calculating flywheel power to some tuners, and their figures come out higher.

Do you have the peak boost value, and boost value at peak power?

That peak power value seems far too high for an otherwise standard car...

On the remap; do they swop the actual chip or do they upload new software to the engine? Just curious to know how they do it as to whether it can revert back to normal by changing the chip or to uninstall the software. Looking seriously at Revo or AMD, but am unsure which to go for as I don't want to invalidate the warranty and want to be able to revert back to normal when needed. Looking at previous post the OneClick/SP3 dongle does the trick, but how reliable is it?

well done Jan S3

I had mine done and was well impressed with the work and approach at AMD. I have a 225 original engine as well.

mien is really linear too and just feels like it keeps pulling.

aggressive boost spikes are not good for lots of reasons and is not good for turbo bearigns and the like.

am sure you will be very happy with what you have got.

NLW

The remap does not change any chips (hence it's not 'chipping' anymore), it's all just loaded onto the original ECU. You can revert back to normal (AmD charge £100) or you can get the OneClick and change back and forth as many times as you like (I believe it takes a couple of minutes each time).

With regard to the differing figures for remapped S3's, this is what AmD have to say about it...

<font color="red">"This can be simply put down to engines in differing condition and the tolerance of the rolling road - there are many factors that can have a say but the figure is accurate. The boost again ranges from car to car, i would expect about 1.3 bar normally or about 14psi."</font>

Ess

The power at the wheels was 184.2bhp with a power loss (transmission, tyres etc) of 81bhp (44%).

Min Ambient Temp 25oc
Max Ambient Temp 33oc
Barometric Pressure 1019mb

They (AMD) did say that the peak boost would be around 1.2 - 1.3bar.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess

The power at the wheels was 184.2bhp with a power loss (transmission, tyres etc) of 81bhp (44%).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...
The reason I asked is because mine used to churn out 210BHP at the wheels...approx 270 at the flywheel.

According to your graph, yours makes more power at the flywheel despite mine being seriously tweaked...although I was putting 25BHP more through the tyres. Odd eh?

[ QUOTE ]

Min Ambient Temp 25oc
Max Ambient Temp 33oc

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where AmDs high correction figures come from...
25 degrees and 33 degrees...that's one hell of an ambient temperature change.

[ QUOTE ]

They (AMD) did say that the peak boost would be around 1.2 - 1.3bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see it...
ImolaS3s was making 1.2 bar ish peak...hence his lowish torque...pity you havent got a boost curve, but from the torque you have I'd say 1.2 to 1.3 bar is realistic.

[ QUOTE ]
The remap does not change any chips (hence it's not 'chipping' anymore), it's all just loaded onto the original ECU. You can revert back to normal (AmD charge £100) or you can get the OneClick and change back and forth as many times as you like (I believe it takes a couple of minutes each time).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right, but older A3 / S3s do need a chip, not sure which ones.

I've posted this a few times but my car made 185bhp at the wheels ,245 at the flywheel.Amd reckoned it was 267bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
I've posted this a few times but my car made 185bhp at the wheels ,245 at the flywheel.Amd reckoned it was 267bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that eh Ryan...
Yours showed losses of 60 BHP...as did mine....

245 BHP is what I'd expect the genuine power to be closer to, with an otherwise standard car, running a first stage generic map boosting to 1.2 bar ish.

My first APR map was a 1.2 bar standard unleaded map...and it made 242 BHP (from memory)...which was up from the standard 208 BHP as measures totally standard.

...and there's that magical 20BHP difference to AmDs figures again.

Ess

It does seem very strange how the power and torque figures very wildly from car to car, bearing in mind they are the same!!

Noodle had his done and his figures were:

Before After
227.5 268.0 Bhp
234.3 292.2 Torque

He got 30lbs/ft more than me for the same remap???

How can this be, i've even got a milltek (I know they don't make that much difference). Could it be because my car has only done 19k and not fully run in yet?

I have noticed when the revs get to just over 3k there is a louder increase in engine noise or induction noise to the point of a vibration? It only lasts for about 500rpm and goes, it comes back when the revs go back down then dissappears when they go under 3k.

Any ideas to the above questions?

Cheers

J

I've asked AmD about the large variation in temperature during your run and large transmission loss. They are yet to get back to me.

Thanks Marc

It's strange to me, would be interested to hear what they have to say. Let me know as soon as you find out, I take it this would sap the torque figures quite a lot due to the temp on my rolling road? And what would cause this?

I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Would not like to guess what all this is about, I'll leave that to the experts!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right, but older A3 / S3s do need a chip, not sure which ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
AGU engined non-DBW 1.8T's. All later ones can be mapped up the diag port.

[ QUOTE ]

Min Ambient Temp 25oc
Max Ambient Temp 33oc

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is where AmDs high correction figures come from...
25 degrees and 33 degrees...that's one hell of an ambient temperature change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked at the Summary for my remap and the Ambient temperatures were:

Min - 23 degress
Max - 38 degrees

Not really sure what this means, in terms of performace, but I know that I am still very happy with the car.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've asked AmD about the large variation in temperature during your run and large transmission loss. They are yet to get back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marc did AmD let you know why there was 30ld/ft torque in diffrence between the two cars?

Not yet. As soon as I hear back I shall let you know.

Nothing to be worried about, the results from the rollers are not that important. What's important is how it drives and everyone seems to be happy so far.

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing to be worried about, the results from the rollers are not that important. What's important is how it drives and everyone seems to be happy so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd second that.

STILL very happy, although not had much chance to drive it since the re-map /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's like having the car from new again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Surpose but I'd still like the reason behind it before I spend money on it, I could understand if it was slightly diffrent but thats a fair amount. I've still got a few days left before the offer ends, so I'll hold on a while longer.

Shaun forget the offer mate,go to jabba ask for the remap you want they won't bs you mate and it's as cheap if not cheaper than amd.
Mike is the best 1.8t mapper in the uk imo.

Yes they do, check the website under RS6 and you should see the options that are available to you.

yep they do a upgrade but so do mtm and revo.

[ QUOTE ]
Surpose but I'd still like the reason behind it before I spend money on it, I could understand if it was slightly diffrent but thats a fair amount. I've still got a few days left before the offer ends, so I'll hold on a while longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically these differences are just from the fact that there are so many possible factors that can affect these figures related to the engine, the tyres, the milage, the weather etc etc that the only useful figures from these results are the difference between the before and after values. The absolute values are never going to be that accurate.

If you want a better explanation please call Adam at AmD and he is happy to explain it to you.

I think it is very true about the temp differences plus so many other factors!

and if you think about this it could be quite dangerous if the car is mapped in cold weather to its lmits then you have some hot weather coming up.

looks like AMD know their stuff and have enough contingency in this to ensure you have some room to play

I used to have konck sensor and lamda sensors running on a display unit on my old skyline via the APexi power FC read out and the knock used to fly up in hot weather!

you could eeven see the diff that optimax can have as knock used to come down 10 points in some cases!!

all in all I think my AMD has made the car what it should be and a really nice power delivery!