1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just an odd ? from a yank to the UK blokes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ImolaS4, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[Jul 6, 2004]
    I've noticed a lot of pics you guys post have the first few digits wiped out, but you leave the last two or three digits exposed in the pic. Why do you guys leave the remaining digits exposed? Are the last three digits irrelevant, or are they just regional digits, or...?

Just curious.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. james_suckling

james_suckling Member

[Jul 6, 2004]
    I think some people blank them out so you don't have the full plate on show so that third parties looking through the site cant get your address. However, there are easier ways to find people then by your reg plate, and 10000's of people see it every week when you're driving around anyway!!
  4. james_suckling

james_suckling Member

[Jul 6, 2004]
    I guess it's just personal choice! It'd be near on impossible to work out the rest of the plate if some of it was blanked out. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[Jul 6, 2004]
    Not trying to wear out this subject, but it seems to be an odd method of blanking out the plates. It seems as though all the plates from the UK that are wiped out have some of the digits left alone (not wiped out). Why go to all the trouble of wiping out some of the digits? Why not wipe them all out like we do here in the States?
  6. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Jul 6, 2004]
    so that sad sacks can try to work out the rest of the plate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif
  7. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[Jul 6, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    peteTDI said:
    so that sad sacks can try to work out the rest of the plate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh Huh..... right.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif
  8. neiloneilo

neiloneilo Member

[Jul 7, 2004]
    ImolaS4, I think the answer to your "remove only some digits" is a combination of what has been said.

Most people don't like advertising there full reg to the world, in the same way you wouldn't put your home address and hours of work here to. The world is full of to many... idiots. However, some people have a personalized plate and wish to show off, but try to keep a little anominimity. ie the picture you posted, his nickname could be "Raven". Likewise "S4 ###", if you had an S4.

Hope answers your question.
  9. MingBluS3

MingBluS3 Member

[Jul 8, 2004]
    Its an easy way for someone to clone you plate too.