Just about done with the old girl once and for all..

dieselfitter251

Blow ma own trumpet?
Reaction score
VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 111 A
Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D00
Software Coding: 0273004284
Work Shop Code: BB 24334
1 Fault Found:
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+

Just got the car back from the garage for the MOT work. Rear end (drive shaft to inner CV to diff) was pretty siezed and they had the same trouble with the pinch bolt on the front as just about everybody else does.

New CVJ on the rear and it was still throwing the (i) so we decided it must be the air gaps on the sensors. VAGCOM was showing readings from all four corners on measuring blocks but not uniformed on speed. I've taken the car home and checked the gaps, the rears are good and now, after disturbing the front right I've got the fault as shown above. I know it just means the sensors goosed and the fronts are a fraction of the rears but that's more money, more time and frankly I'm out of patience...

Probably spent enough on it to have bought a reasoable B6 tdi avant... what do ya'll think. Bin it or persevere?

tbh even if you were going to bin it, it would be silly not to fix the ABS sensor, and MOT it before getting rid.

With an MOT you might get a grand for it, without its probably not worth much more than 3-400.

Not worth much on insurance without MOT Mate,lol

You have come this far,seems silly to walk away now tbh

prob not what you want to hear but whats it worth if you break it up?

Sorry if I'm butting in and not knowing what im talking about, but with the ABS sensor, if it's a recurring fault, are you using a genuine part?

Just a thought, as we have found at work that the cheaper alternatives (from Euro Car Parts, Camberly, etc) rarely seem to work on the BMW's. Hence we always go genuine now. This probably won't help, but just thought I'd mention it just in case. lol.

I hear ya'll... Of course she'll get more oney thrown at her... and I'm sure she'll still be chuggin along this time next year in fear of failing another Mot. Sourcing a new sensor. Will be checking E.C.P. and GSF but will be checking with tolerances and failure rates. Watch this space!
Fix 'er up, and i'll buy you a pint. :beerchug:

Get rid, and no beer for you. :no:

Eh, Where's Frinton-on-Sea? I'm partial to real Ale and a wee nip o' whishky! :sm4:

Hmmmm. So. Anybody any thoughts on the cheap ABS sensors from euro car parts? They do sensors all the way up £70ish... I really just want to get the car MOT'd and then I think I'm going to sell. I don't want to be be buying a new sensor at £70+ and find that I've still got porblems, I'm wary of buying a second hand one too.

I got some bearings from ECP, it was only when I querried the brand I realised they had several. got the Meyle ones, OEM standard and most expensive.

my ABS sensor came from "Murrays" think it was £65

Frinton-On-Sea is waaay down here on the Essex riviera. Excellent destination for a post-abs repair test-run....

Hmmm. May be down by Frinton on Sea dirung the summer.. you never know! For now I'm going to go with ECP.. see if I can make it a cheap fix.
One thing I have noticed about measuring block on VAGCOM, each reading doesn't seem to move at the same time.. I'm guessing that this is due the sensors ahving different airgaps which could be the source of the problem. Any thoughts?