juddering on tickover......!

WOLF

Reaction score
My A4 TDI Avant has developed a judder on tickover,noticed it while sat at traffic lights,out of gear just idling then start a judder.

Any ideas?

DMF or engine mounts would be the most likely suspects. If it stops when you dip the clutch it's the DMF at fault.

no,it judders whether clutch pedal up or down but not all the time:think:no big deal just annoying when it shakes...

Sounds like it's probably an engine mount failing then. A scan with VCDS should show it up.

Mine was doing same Steev it was dmf,
fitted new clutch and converted it to solid flywheel last year and its much smoother now...

My engine used to randomly judder at idle & fitting a new engine mounting stopped it. i've had DMF failure on a couple of VAG cars & both times the juddering at idle would stop on engaging the clutch.
Another way of checking the DMF is to hold the revs at 40ish mph in 3rd gear, & if the car surges your DMF is probably goosed.

Mine had a shake on tickover. Had the timing belt and water pump done today. The mechanic said the water pump pulley was moving all over the shake has now gone and is running smoother. Just another idea for you

Mines done this for the last 40K or so since I've had it, does it mainly when the engine is up to temp, clutch up or down makes no difference, no rattling or flywheel noise, and there are no engine mounting faults logged.
Load the engine with A/C, demisters & lights etc and it stops shaking, or pick the revs up a little. Don't know what the culprit is..

My engine used to randomly judder at idle & fitting a new engine mounting stopped it. i've had DMF failure on a couple of VAG cars & both times the juddering at idle would stop on engaging the clutch.
Another way of checking the DMF is to hold the revs at 40ish mph in 3rd gear, & if the car surges your DMF is probably goosed.

Paul, which engine mount cured it?

I have what I describe as a shuddering on tick over, though mine can be accompanied by white smoke, if you raise the idle even very slightly, or a change in load on the electrical system it disappears, though it hasn't be fixed yet it has been diagnosed with several faulty diesel injectors, and was a well documented fault, it might be worth checking out.