1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juddering at idle

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by dougie175, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dougie175

dougie175 Member

[Jan 17, 2011]
    I have a 2002 A3 130 PD TDi and only every now and again when Im sat at the lights with my car ideling it will start to judder, its quite noticeable. However as soon as you touch the throttle it goes

Its very much an intermittent fault though most of the time it is fine.

My initial thought would be either a dirty MAF or a faulty one, however I thought I would just check on here first and make sure there isnt a known cause of this fault for the engine before I go messing around cleaning the MAF or replacing it.

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. dougie175

dougie175 Member

[Jan 17, 2011]
    I have just done a bit of a test of the car and realised it is not flywheel related as putting my foot on the clutch does nothing.

However it only judders ideling on steep downhill slopes, not on the flat or uphill, which makes me think it may be engine mount related?

Im a little confused about this one, any help anyone has please feel free to help.

Thanks
  4. leighlo

leighlo Audi Newbie...

[Jan 18, 2011]
    Mine does the same (1.6 Sport) - if you put your foot on the throttle can you feel it pulsing when it judders?

It's been suggested it could be a dirty throttle body? Just wish we had the weather to check!
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. DaveA3

DaveA3 Audi A-Trizzle!

[Jan 18, 2011]
    probably the throttle body. i had a similar issue. cleaned mine and it was sorted
  6. ptr

ptr Member

[Jan 18, 2011]
    Can also be a vac leak, split pipe somewhere.

I've got the same on my 1.6, so far I've cleaned the MAF but it has made no difference.
  7. sweeney23

sweeney23 s23 swe

[Jan 18, 2011]
    does it go away tho after heated up
  8. Zenin

Zenin Member

[Jan 18, 2011]
    i have the same problem on my 1.6
    so it could be:

Dirty MAF
    Broken MAF
    Vac leak
    Split pipe
    Dirty throttle body

lucky i found this post, i was just hoping on buying a new MAF.. but this needs more investigation..
  9. Whorpheus

Whorpheus Member

[Jan 18, 2011]
    Same on my TDi 130. Been doing it for quite a while now, on and off. More noticable on a downhill slope than any other time. Apart from that it drives fine. Sort of put up with it for 6 months, as its not all the time. Dont think Temperature effects it, in my case.
  10. dougie175

dougie175 Member

[Jan 18, 2011]
    No temp does not effect it in my case either, sounds like Whorpheus shares the exact same symptoms as myself.

Looks like I am going to have to do a bit of investigating , ill see if I can feel anything through the pedal this evening.

What has the going downhill got to do with it though?
  11. dougie175

dougie175 Member

[Jan 19, 2011]
    Tried it again lastnight as theres a certain hill I can get it to do it everytime and I couldnt feel anything through the throttle, infact I couldnt feel anything through any of the pedals, just sits there juddering.

Hmm strange one
  12. filipek

filipek New Member

[Mar 6, 2011]
    i have a 55 plate a3 2.0tdi and has been doing the same for around 12 month, when i push the throttle it stops and when i push clutch it also stops. been searching for a while to find others with this problem and a solution, so from me also any help is great
  13. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Mar 6, 2011]
    bet its the same fault the golf tdis suffer from. If so its an inherit fault with the ecu, and theres nothing you can do except change the ecu. This has had success. Over time a component inside the ecu breaks down in time and cause a judder on idle and particularly on overun. And to prove it you can disconnect the speed sensor and it will stop doing it. I belive there was a recall on certain golfs, but not sure about the a3.