Judder

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Does anyone recognise this symptom? My car is a 1999 A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic. When I first drive off from cold, there is a slight judder from the front drivetrain on full lock, i.e. manouevring out of the drive or turning out of a junction. Later on, when I've been driving for a while and everything is warmed up, it is gone. No judder! It's not the wheels, as they have new tyres fitted & have been re- balanced. I wondered if it was connected to the front diff, or maybe the drive shafts. Any clues, anyone?

For what it's worth. When I got my S4 just over 18 months ago I too noticed a strange vibration rather than a judder on turning tightly say out of a drive or junction and I too thought the diff was acting up. The frequency of the vibration was wheel speed dependent and occurred irrespective of temp.

However, my vibration comes from the rear of the car and on a subsequent test drive with an Audi tech he said that they all do that. It is apparently a Quattro characteristic and some are more noticeable than others. The tech considered mine as less noticeable than others he'd driven.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Is it there on either lock? Left or right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello again! Catching up on old stuff after being away & found you'd asked me this on a previous post & I hadn't replied yet. It can be on either lock. I'm monitoring it at the moment & will get it checked when it goes for service