Jeff's S4

That's a given, Col.

Would also be interested to see stock figures on B8.5. We know B8 run higher then what the spec suggests but not B8.5s. Pretty much al that I have come across run lower, e.g mine ran 325ps stock before the remap. Not that it makes much of a difference after the remap but 10-15ps/bhp between a stock B8 v B8.5 is pretty significant imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound
The difference between B8 and B8.5 stock power is down to the change in gearbox redline. Also when you compare cars make sure they have the same fuel because octane makes a significant difference.

Reactions: V6_Man
The difference between B8 and B8.5 stock power is down to the change in gearbox redline. Also when you compare cars make sure they have the same fuel because octane makes a significant difference.
I ran my previous cars on V-Power but didn't bother with the S4 after reading reviews that said it wouldn't offer any benefit.

Completely agreed @Dippy and I remember us having the same discussions on my Stage 2 thread as well. At the time I went for remap I had Shell vPower in the fuel tank. I have always used either BP Ultimate and /or Shell vPower since 2009. It has been vPower since I bought my S4 on both the cars. I am just curious to know and nothing else :)

Completely agreed @Dippy and I remember us having the same discussions on my Stage 2 thread as well. At the time I went for remap I had Shell vPower in the fuel tank. I have always used either BP Ultimate and /or Shell vPower since 2009. It has been vPower since I bought my S4 on both the cars. I am just curious to know and nothing else :)
Maybe I'll put a full tank of V-Power in before it goes in for the map.

Maybe I'll put a full tank of V-Power in before it goes in for the map.

Having vPower for stock numbers would be nice but your power increase that you get after the remap would be dependent on the fuel you use and therefore the map should be based on that. Mine is mapped to vPower and anything with a lower octane won't give me the same power gains. You'll probably get higher numbers if the car is tuned to vPower or Tesco momentum and slightly lower if it is mapped for a fuel with lower octane.

Reactions: jdp1962
Having vPower alone for stock numbers would be nice but your power increase that you get after the remap would be dependent on the fuel you use and therefore the map should be based on that. Mine is mapped to vPower and anything with a lower octane won't give me the same power gains. You'll probably get higher numbers if the car is tuned to vPower or Tesco momentum and slightly lower if it is mapped for a fuel with lower octane.
Yeah, got that. Maybe this is the prompt I need to switch to V-Power.

If I remember rightly @scotty76 did a test on a 'standard' B8.5 S4, using 'normal' Shell fuel & then V-Power & there wasn't any difference
However, I do agree any tuned or turbo'ed car should be run on V-Power (or the equivalent)

If I remember rightly @scotty76 did a test on a 'standard' B8.5 S4, using 'normal' Shell fuel & then V-Power & there wasn't any difference
However, I do agree any tuned or turbo'ed car should be run on V-Power (or the equivalent)
I did. On a standard car there was no power difference between normal and V-Power and negligible mpg difference.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-s4-thread.240053/page-3#post-2483113

My miles per tank have come up a bit since the car was new. I'm always over 300 miles per tank now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound and V6_Man
The last few months of ownership I ran my S4 on Vpower, no noticeable difference in performance but miles per tank was up slightly, but only just - use to average 308 miles per tank, bit more if I'd done a few longer runs.

Will probably run the new one on the same as I've gotten use to pulling up at that pump now at my local.

@scotty76 - ^ Nice one buddy !
I did. On a standard car there was no power difference between normal and V-Power and negligible mpg difference.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-s4-thread.240053/page-3#post-2483113

My miles per tank have come up a bit since the car was new. I'm always over 300 miles per tank now.
@scotty76 :)

Driving%20Miss%20Daisy_zpstdgcqlnw.jpg

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, Keef and scotty76
The 'butt dyno' is notoriously poor at sensing a difference of only around 10PS, especially if the tests are not back-to-back (and the engine will take some time to adjust to a change in octane so the drive right after a refill cannot be considered back-to-back).

I had thought that the OEM ECU does not advance timing to take advantage of octane over 95RON until I was at MRC, where Doug contradicted that.

@jdp1962 - it might be worth discussing octane with your tuner. If you'd prefer to keep using 95RON then it might be better to have a map optimised for it, rather than have a map optimised for higher octane but then retarding timing in response to the knock sensors.

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
The 'butt dyno' is notoriously poor at sensing a difference of only around 10PS, especially if the tests are not back-to-back (and the engine will take some time to adjust to a change in octane so the drive right after a refill cannot be considered back-to-back).

I had thought that the OEM ECU does not advance timing to take advantage of octane over 95RON until I was at MRC, where Doug contradicted that.

@jdp1962 - it might be worth discussing octane with your tuner. If you'd prefer to keep using 95RON then it might be better to have a map optimised for it, rather than have a map optimised for higher octane but then retarding timing in response to the knock sensors.
I'll certainly mentione it @Dippy, although as far as I know, this isn't a customised map that's going in.

Reactions: scotty76 and V6_Man
I still remember @jdp1962 's previous comment when we were discussing tuning. I think it was something along the lines of "I don't think I have the testicles (?) for that sort of power". I'm glad you got the ball upgrade :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, jdp1962 and V6_Man
I've still another week to wait for the remap, so I've cheered myself up by fitting these, which arrived today. :)

IMG_0069_zpsuzhztidn.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsp7umopoe.jpg

Reactions: scotty76, Thundercliffe81, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
@jdp1962, can I ask where did you order them from and what's the quality like?

Well, today is the day the car is in at Bexley Audi for what I always anticipated would be the only time; the two-year inspection service. It didn't take long for things to go wrong. Less than a minute after I'd parked the car in a bay and got out, one of their hi-viz jacket-wearing forecourt jockeys got into the car in the adjacent bay and allowed the door to swing out against mine.

I bawled him out, and then complained to the service manager, who immediately came out and we inspected the car together. There's no mark but he's now under no illusions about how I'm holding him personally responsible for everything that happens from now until collection.

Last edited:
Oops and fingers crossed. I am sure everything else would go as planned without any more dramas.

Reactions: jdp1962
@jdp1962 - did you do what I do (or rather used to do because I don't use dealers any more) - take photos of the car, making sure that you are seen to be taking photos? Last time when I did this and then reminded the service adviser that I didn't want the car washed we had a conversation about my fears about them damaging the car and he was left in no doubt that they had better be careful...

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
@jdp1962 - did you do what I do (or rather used to do because I don't use dealers any more) - take photos of the car, making sure that you are seen to be taking photos? Last time when I did this and then reminded the service adviser that I didn't want the car washed we had a conversation about my fears about them damaging the car and he was left in no doubt that they had better be careful...
That's pretty much what happened this morning. Anyway, I've got it back now, and all is well. Now to wait for Tuesday, and the remap.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and V6_Man
Well, today is the day the car is in at Bexley Audi for what I always anticipated would be the only time; the two-year inspection service. It didn't take long for things to go wrong. Less than a minute after I'd parked the car in a bay and got out, one of their hi-viz jacket-wearing forecourt jockeys got into the car in the adjacent bay and allowed the door to swing out against mine.

I bawled him out, and then complained to the service manager, who immediately came out and we inspected the car together. There's no mark but he's now under no illusions about how I'm holding him personally responsible for everything that happens from now until collection.
@jdp1962 - ****** hell Jeff !
Pleased there was no damage mate
Now you know why the numb tie was wearing the hi-viz jacket lol
That's pretty much what happened this morning. Anyway, I've got it back now, and all is well. Now to wait for Tuesday, and the remap.
Just out of interest, what was the damage for the 2nd year inspection service Jeff ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@jdp1962 - ****** hell Jeff !
Pleased there was no damage mate
Now you know why the numb tie was wearing the hi-viz jacket lol

Just out of interest, what was the damage for the 2nd year inspection service Jeff ?
£257, price matched from my local indie. Full price would have been £473.

Reactions: mister.c., Bristle Hound and V6_Man
So I'm going to have to wait a little longer for my remap. Due to a diary malfunction at the garage, we've had to put it back to Thursday 15th June. :grumpy:

So I'm going to have to wait a little longer for my remap. Due to a diary malfunction at the garage, we've had to put it back to Thursday 15th June. :grumpy:
Oh no. :( The wait's killing us all (OK, maybe just me). :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962
It's a travesty not to tune these engines - all that potential just waiting to be unleashed :)

Reactions: V6_Man and jdp1962
@jdp1962 - Just out of interest Jeff are you getting the s-tronic GB re-mapped at the same time too ?