1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jb0o's 2.0TFSI & 3rd A3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jb0o, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rockape

rockape Per ardua

Cars coming along nicely Jonny. The pedals will add that extra quality look to the cabin. I lover mine, one of the best mini mods :icon_thumright:
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Its great adding these things hey Jonny :)
  3. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor

Cheers mate. I wasnt so sure about the pedals at first, the cheapest I could find was £70 on the bay which was more than I wanted to pay but when they popped up for £40 I couldnt really say no :)
  4. jb0o

It is mate! Just growing my balls a bit before I crack on with the S-Tronic gear knob, haha.
  5. jb0o

Picked up some S3 pedals for a steal the other day. Definitely makes an improvement to the interior...

[​IMG]
  6. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

Defo some s3 vents would look sweet with those shiny new pedals. Interior looks good mate.
  7. jb0o

Cheers mate.

Ive never been fond on the S3 or TT vents as Ive always found it to be too much chrome..

Ill have to have a second thought now as the chrome vents would certainly compliment the chrome pedals well.
  8. jb0o

Loving the car so far but if anything Im starting to dislike the DSG..

I was driving my mates MK1 Octavia VRs the other day and it just seemed more fun, and having less power I can only put that down to it being a manual.

I think if the DSG box improved the economy a bit then Id be a bit happier, but if anything its much thirstier. Over 1000 miles of mostly A roads with the occasional in town driving without really pushing her Ive managed to get 28.9 MPG and around 340miles to a tank.

Im not really bothered about how much mpg I get, why would I buy a 2.0T if I did?, but its always nice to make a saving wherever possible and the fact that a manual seems to be more fun with better economy Im starting to wonder if Ive made the wrong decision :scared2:
  9. NHN

Buy a 2.0 tdi dsg, job done :)
  10. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

What a good move that was huh chine :wub:
  11. NHN

100%, loads of torque, auto, economy, couldnt ask for more lol
  12. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

How do you drive with the DSG. Using D or tiptronic. I on my 3rd DSG car and my 4th is on the way but I very rarely drive using the D or S mode. I always drive using the tiptronic mode where I decide when to change gear using either the centre stick or the steering wheel paddles. Basically I use it like a manual but without the need to keep pressing the clutch pedal. If I do get stuck in traffic I put it in D and let it look after itself until the traffic frees again and then it's back into tiptronic. Much more fun than a manual, very fast gear-changes every time and with full power still on when accelerating. It even very kindly selects first gear for you when you stop.

My new 2.0TDI-170 Sportback which is in the country and should be with the dealer any day will also have the Start/Stop system. Something new to get used to.
  13. NHN

TBH its pretty good, very quick response, I think you'll like it.
  14. Ads

Ads License to drive

Find a 2.0T manual on the road and get into a traffic light grand prix with it... then come back and tell us if you still think you've made the wrong decision. :eyebrows:

D.S.G. is better than S.E.X. Fact.
  15. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

My wife has the Start/Stop system on her A1 1.6TDI and it certainly seems to work very well. Slight difference in the way it works because her car has a manual gearbox so pressing the clutch pedal restarts the engine where as with the DSG you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal and the engine will restart as soon as you take the pressure off the pedal. Slight pressure and the engine will stay running - more pressure and it will stop.
  16. jb0o

You're probably right. Ive only managed to have a bit of fun with 1 car since Ive got her and that was with a VXR.
  17. jb0o

Dave, I drive it pretty much all of the time in D.

Id love to drive in tip-tronic but it becomes difficult when changing gear while turning the wheel and also knowing what gear you're in without looking at the DIS.

Ive had a few stints in 'S' which was good fun!

You'll be very impressed with the auto-stop-start. I fairly skeptical of the system at first but its brilliant; very responsive and doesnt skip a beat.
  18. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm turning my steering wheel I just use the centre lever. It's always in exactly the same place as a manual gear lever except that all you have to do is nudge it a fraction forward or back. I use the lever a lot and use the paddles when I change gear when I going in a straight line. Try it sometime - you will find it makes driving a lot more enjoyable than sticking in D all the time. To me the D stands for depressing.

Also, how do you know what gear you are in when using a manual. Either you know by the way car is responding or you have to look down to work out what position the lever is in. I know what gear my car is in most of the time and if I'm not sure I can just glance down a fraction and see an illuminated number. Personally I also regard the DSG as a clutchless manual gearbox and not as some form of automatic. If I couldn't use it in the way I do I would probably want to go back to a manual.
  19. jb0o

I'd agree, I do get slightly irritated when I get the "so you drive an Automatic?" response.

I always know what gear I'm in with a manual as you've just gone into that gear using your stick but like you said, looking down at the illuminated DIS isn't so much of a problem and most likely one that you just get used to with time.

I've just been for a short blast to Asda to pick up some Pizza's and had it in Manual all the way there and it felt good leaving a round-a-bout and not to find myself in 4th gear and certainly livened up the drive a bit. I think the bottom-line is that I need to stop messing around and get her out of D :lmfao:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  20. jb0o

Took the car down to Big Fish Tuning at 8.30 this morning for a remap. What a difference!

She pulls through the gears like a train through the gears, which feel even smoother than before.. I was initially worried about it having ~250bhp through the front wheels but it still handles itself well under pressure.. Very impressed!

The RR was playing up so couldnt get on them but hoping to get on them within the next few weeks for an accurate read out.
  21. Ads

Ads License to drive

Haha glad you went for the remap.
    Are you getting much wheel spin when the turbo comes on boost in 1st and 2nd? Since my remap I can't floor it from standstill or below about 15mph or the wheels light up. Hoping better tyres will help.
  22. jb0o

I haven't actually floored it from a standstill yet mate. I've floored it from a roll at about 15mph in 2nd and I still had to feather it in gently so I imagine it'll have pretty extreme wheel-hop/spin from a standstill no doubt.

The remap has certainly made me appreciate the DSG box a lot more... it changes gear so quick and so smooth and never misses a beat. I've taken Dave's advice and have been using the Tip Tronic more and its certainly livened up the drive.
  23. AidenUK

AidenUK Well-Known Member

Is launch control turned enabled on your car jboo?
  24. jb0o

It is mate ;)
  25. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

finally you did it! Happy for you buddy, treat her well and dont let anyone to overtake you;P.
  26. AidenUK

Is it tried and tested with the new map on?!

:racer:
  27. jb0o

No chance of that! Handed a Type R his rear end earlier.. Felt good ;)
    RedDejavu likes this.
  28. jb0o

Not yet ;)
  29. HIGGINS

HIGGINS Member

We will see about that... ;)
  30. jb0o

Haha, we'll test out the launch control tomorrow ;)
  31. AidenUK

LIKE!
  32. jb0o

Was playing about with VCDS today and did some 0-60 runs and Logging Date of Meas Block 120.

I did the runs on an abondoned back road. The road had a fair bit of loose tarmac so I felt I couldnt get the power down as well as Id have hoped and only managed to get a 6.4s 0-60 run.

The cars been remapped but has yet to go on the RR so I was interested in logging the data from Meas Block 120 in Engine-01 and using the tutorial I was able to work out the approximate BHP.. This returned a BHP of 253 @ 6100rpm..

I'll upload the graph / logs when I get on my computer tonight.

How accurate would this power measurement be? I feel 253bhp may be a fair bit optimistic from nothing but a remap, especially when I only ran a 6.4s using launch control.. albeit the road conditions.
  33. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Anymore mods planned for this Jonny?
  34. jb0o

Got a few more in the pipeline mate!

Installed the MK2 RNS-E at the weekend and got a few mods planned for this in the future... I've got the S-Tronic shifter sitting in my bedroom so just need to find time to man up and get that mod done lol, then next will be the MY09's and 09 White Cluster :)
    RedDejavu likes this.
  35. jb0o

Here's the graph made up of the data from the 120 Block VCDS Log:

[​IMG]
  36. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

You sourced a cluster?
  37. jb0o

Not yet mate, trying to find one for a decent price with less mileage than mine (56k).. wouldn't know anyone would you?
  38. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

Thats good numbers jonny, going to try and get vcds on mine and have this done. Want to know what my ones running. how did you get vcds to display the dyno style graph. I want to find out precisely where my boost really kicks in hard and then drops off.
  39. jb0o

Was quite simple really. Just open up Measuring Block 120 in Engine and when youre ready press the Log button which will save the data to a *.csv file. You need to redline it in 3rd as this is the best gear to read the power.

Then use the data in the file and use this tutorial to work out power and create the graph: http://www.ross-tech.net/vag-com/examples/Block_120_Tutorial.xls

Not sure how accurate it is mind..
  40. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Possibly I'll come back to you!