Jay A3 's 1.8T On-Going Build Thread

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I saw Nikis post last night about a car with 307 bhp and out of fuel, I saw your post on Saturday about dropping it off, but my brain isn't working at the mo and I didn't realise that was yours :laugh:

Good strong results there Jay.

What's the plan? get it back from Niki as is? or source some 440's ASAP and send straight to him to keep going for more?

Reactions: Jay A3
Not quite sure at the minute. The car has only been worked on for one day. Ben suggested looking for some 440s, depends how much they are going for atm...Might just get it back and go back for a re-tune when I do have new injectors. I'm well stoked about the figures :)

Reactions: kwistof
Have you got rods Jay? I can't search individual threads since they changed ASN.

Also what ko4 are you running?

Ooooh,
get some 440cc's and push for 350hp then.

I'm not sure what 440cc injectors to get for the AGU, I've read somewhere that the older green top injectors 0280 150 558 work better with the AGU injector drivers.

0280155968 are the newer Green Giant injectors

Spot on. The 0280 150 558 was the part number given to me by Ben. On the hunt, all depends whether I can get it in time to send to rtech...

Spot on. The 0280 150 558 was the part number given to me by Ben. On the hunt, all depends whether I can get it in time to send to rtech...
search faster.
would you not be better off with 440s anyway for the extra head room. Even if you stay sub 300hp. Purely for safety and longevity

Relax Karl ;)
I didn't think the redtops would max out though...

I may have sourced a set just waiting to here back...

So close to 300, would be nice to get it

Reactions: superkarl
Haha... They are the ones I'm waiting to hear back on!

They have come back... "They are Bosch alternatives and have had great results" not sure whether to or not...

Stock but rebuilt. Not hybrid Ant.

558 is correct part number needed for agu. Old school ford injectors. eBay usually the best bet.

I've ordered some blag Japanese ones, i'll see how they work out i a couple of weeks when I slap it all together.

You can always mildly upgrade a stock ko4 for less than £150.
A billet compressor wheel is like £90 and send the turbo off to be VSR balanced for £50.

Keep us posted antwan. Yeh I didn't have the option of a hybrid but decided against it...

Dude once again congrates on the mapping it really is so epic and that power is boss!

No you don't need to polish your lights anymore....

Next mod is wrap the car gloss white lol

Thanks miggz. Ben parsons and rtech have done a beautiful job as always.

No more wrapping lol
Lesson learnt

Careful with old school ford injectors, Cossies use low impedence type. You need high impedence.

No worries, I am following the spec you sent me, but after ones with the older spray pattern

One of the early runs

Maybe have sourced some 440s hoping to collect tomorrow

440s green tops

To late for rtech to fit and map, I will have to rebook for another day. Hopefully see 300bhp+ with no problems

Reactions: StaceyS3, superkarl and g60leigh
About £100...
Not sure miggz, I know these are fine for agu with ev1 fitment.

So got the car back today from R-tech.

What a difference, after driving it on actuator pressure since the build (around 220bhp) is like a new car! Final figure 288bhp on the saab redtops.

Pulls in every gear all the way through the revs unlike the k03s where it runs out of at 5k.

Results at the fly

Niki has done his best to keep the fuel curve down, on the earlier runs it kept going up and was desperate for more fuel as the revs climbed.

Ben Parsons and niki at r-tech have done a wonderful job! I will always recommend them to everyone!

Reactions: g60leigh, StaceyS3, superkarl and 1 other person
Couple of weeks since it's been mapped now and car is running great! Pulls and drives brilliantly... What is lacking now is the handling. I have done enough in the past so it drives ok. But would like to get it to handle even better!

I've changed the rear wishbone bushes, stiffer shocks and springs and s3 arb. Got the rear axle bushes to fit - will they make a massive difference??

Out of all the bushes the rear axle bushes will probably make the least difference, but still worth doing for sure...

Are you poly bushed up front yet?

P.s paint work is looking mint mate... Absolute best colour as well :icon thumright:

Just having a look at what ones are available.

Dog bone mount - done
Top mounts - done
Front wishbone rear arm bushes - done
Front anti roll bar bushes - plan to change

Front wishbone arm front bushes - ??
Front anti roll bar link bushes - ??

The ones I haven't changed yet, I'm guessing they will contribute a lot to the setup?

There's the steering rack bush to if you're going all out.

A rear ARB is supposed to make the biggest difference, whiteline are cheapest in 22mm or 24mm.

I have got an eibach rarb provisional sold to me, but not had a chance to pick it up! Yeh I know of the steering rack bush but heard it's a pigs job for very little gain...

The rear ARB only makes much of a difference on the S3... Has little to no effect on the A3 as it's a fixed rear beam as it is.

I think the biggest handling downfall of the A3 is the lack of camber adjustment upfront... You can fit S3/LCR lower arms etc up front to help rectify this a bit, I think I'm gonna opt for the silver project camber plates my self then go from there

The fixed rear beam has a standard roll bar in a channel in it but theres alot of chassis flex back there.

Are you still running the Vogtland spring shoc kit? Whats it like? I can't find any reviews on them.
Are they skittish?

Last edited:
I think the biggest handling downfall of the A3 is the lack of camber adjustment upfront... You can fit S3/LCR lower arms etc up front to help rectify this a bit, I think I'm gonna opt for the silver project camber plates my self then go from there

Yeh I have told that before. May possible look into the whole lcr front end if I go down the route of a gearbox upgrade to 02m. I would like the silver project kit but worried it may be too much for daily use too.

Are you still running the Vogtland spring shoc kit? Whats it like? I can't find any reviews on them.
Are they skittish?

The vogtlands kit is serving me well I like to think. I'm sure once on track it may start to show signs of weakness. For daily road use they have been spot on. Very little body roll if any when cornering. Ride is stiffer. Overall I'm happy with them.... For now

IMHO the rarb and poly rear beam bushes make the biggest transformation bar fitting s3 front hubs, rack and arms.

Great stuff! I got the bushes to fit so that's a start. Rarb I will get soon. The hubs, rack and arms will only come if and when I go for the gearbox change

Reactions: kwistof
Cheers Westy. Gathering more bits for castle Combe now. Got rear bushes, scored some powerflex 17mm s3 front arb bushes for £17 which will be fitted next weekend. got my sjcam camera to film the track day and will be ordering new tyres next week.

Might change my brake pads but indecisive on which ones apart from feredo's ds. (Not got the money for then yet)

So I'm tracking the car at Adi. First ever tracking session in this car.

Powerflex rear beam bushes fitted
Front s3 arb 17mm bushes fitted
New tyres on Thursday
Oil and fluids all checked

Any other bits / tips I can do to prep the car?

Reactions: g60leigh